North Northumberland League round-up (Saturday, April 25)

North Northumberland Football League news and reports.
North Northumberland Football League news and reports.


Red Row Welfare 6 Amble St Cuthbert 1

Red Row produced a vintage display to ensure a safe passage into the Bilclough Cup semi-final in a passionate local derby.

Red Row went into the game with a reshuffled line-up, with Max Anderson being given the opportunity upfront he’d been desperate for. From the first whistle, Anderson and strike partner Kevin Bell caused the visitors problems with their pace and movement.

Bell broke free of his marker and unselfishly laid it across for Anderson to tap in the home side’s opener (1-0).

The duo soon linked up again with Bell cushioning a ball down off his chest into the path of Anderson, who coolly slotted past Christian Hall in the visitors’ goal (2-0).

Despite being asked to play in a slightly unfamiliar role on the right side of midfield, Sean Palmer was pulling strings for Red Row and he sent the home crowd into raptures when he cut in on his supposedly weaker left foot and curled a sublime effort into the top corner, to further extend the home side’s lead, before Bell got among the goals with a trademark lob over the keeper (4-0).

Sam Palin managed to rally his Amble side and they came out for the second half looking like a different team. They found themselves camped in Red Row’s half trying to find a way back into the game.

Their efforts were rewarded when Reece Ramsay went down in the box and he expertly dispatched the resulting penalty for his 54th goal of an increasingly impressive season (4-1).

As the Cuddies pushed for a second goal, Red Row hit them on the counter-attack. Sean Palmer’s second goal of the game restored their four-goal lead when his effort managed to squeeze in at the near post (5-1).

The hosts pushed for more goals and Ben Lilburn went agonisingly close on three occasions but made amends by whipping in a powerful corner that David Shepherd headed home to wrap up a fine game of football that was played in the right fashion by both sides.

Red Row squad: J Charlton, L Eason, M Smith, D Palmer, C Baston, S Palmer, R Warwick, C Flanighan, J Baston, K Bell, M Anderson, P Smith, B Lilburn, D Shepherd, S Black. Red Row man-of-the-match: Ronnie Warwick.


Wansbeck AFC 2 Tweedmouth Harrow 1

Play was fairly even during the first half with the clubs level at half-time. Ritchie Hall and Johnny Blythe scored both for their respective teams. After half-time, Wansbeck went on to take the tie thanks to a goal from Jack Anderson.


Highfields United 7 Bamburgh Castle 0

Highfields United managed their first league win of the season in their final match as they netted seven without reply against a depleted Bamburgh team. In a storming first half, Highfield netted six times before the break but were unable to reproduce the form after the interval, scoring only one more before the final whistle. Goalscorers for Highfields were: Ryan Wedderburn (three), Simon Hargreaves, Logan Sykes, Jack Dunn, Young and Martin Shucksmith.