Newcastle United still have work to do in the summer’s transfer market – after Chancel Mbemba’s move to St James’s Park edged closer.
But the club is yet to make an improved offer for Florian Thauvin.
We’re always looking but we’ve got to get the right playersSteve McClaren
Midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and striker Aleksandar Mitrovic have already arrived on Tyneside.
And Anderlecht defender Chancel Mbemba’s move to St James’s Park is set to be finalised today ahead of tomorrow’s home friendly against Borussia Monchengladbach.
A Football Association panel yesterday considered the club’s request for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) to back the DR Congo international’s application for a visa.
Mbemba meets the criteria for a GBE, and the 20-year-old should be available for the club’s final pre-season friendly.
Newcastle have other targets, notably Queens Park Rangers striker Charlie Austin.
Olympique Marseille winger Florian Thauvin is also high on the club’s summer shopping list.
And a report in France claimed Newcastle had tabled an improved £12million bid for Thauvin.
However, United – who bid £10million for the 22-year-old last month – have not yet returned for Thauvin.
McClaren, Newcastle’s head coach, is hopeful of more signings between now and the end of next month when the summer transfer window closes.
Asked about the chances of more arrivals at St James’s Park, McClaren said: “We’re always looking, but they’ve got to be the right players.”
United were beaten 2-1 by York City at Bootham Crescent on Wednesday night.
Mitrovic, signed from Anderlecht in a £13million deal, made his debut against the League Two side.
While disappointed with the result, McClaren felt there were some positives to take out of the match.
McClaren said: “We’re delighted with the players that we’ve got and their attitudes. I’ve been pleased with some of the performances.”
“I want to win, so I’m disappointed. We were poor in box boxes, but good in the middle.”