Newbiggin charge into final

Newbiggin v North Sundeland''North Sunderland in blue
Newbiggin v North Sundeland''North Sunderland in blue

Sportsworld North Northumberland League round-up

Anderson Cup , Semi-Final

FC Newbiggin 2

North Sunderland 0

A much-changed Newbiggin team turned in a performance that saw them totally out-play their visitors.

During a game in which they rattled the woodwork three times and had a goal disallowed, Tony Messenger headed them into a 30th minute lead and, five minutes later, only a good save from the visiting keeper stopped them doubling the advantage.

In the second half, man-of-the-match John Bone found Johnathan McAnaney and his cut-back was met by Michael Freathy to double the lead after 60 minutes.

The home side continued to dominate play with North Sunderland’s first chance of the game coming after 89 minutes.

Robson Cup, Semi-Finals

Tweedmouth Rangers 3

Bamburgh Castle 2

After a strong first-half performance, Tweedmouth held on to make it to the Robson Cup final.

Keiran Cromarty gave Rangers a 13th minute lead and, following hand-ball in the area, Lee Dodd made his penalty-spot kick count after 25 minutes.

The third goal arrived on 35 minutes with a strike from Craig Colouhoun.

There was no further scoring before half-time but, within a minute of the restart, Johnny Johnson netted for Bamburgh.

On 80 minutes, Gareth McCann scored a second for Bamburgh but, following a nervous few minutes, it was Tweedmouth who held on for the win.

Lowick United 2

Amble St Cuthbert 4

After being whipping boys last season, Amble have come good and reached their first final.

During the first half, David Whenray and Karl Taylor had given Amble the lead with Andy Metcalfe netting for Lowick in the final minute of the first half. Lowick hit back after half-time and equalised after 75 minutes with a goal from Steve Drummond.

Amble then came good to win the tie with an 85th-minute goal from Karl Taylor and a 88th minute strike from David Whenray.

Division One

Red Row Welfare 9

Berwick Utd 0

As the scoreline suggests, Red Row totally dominated this game from the kick-off to inflict a heavy defeat on their visitors. Three up at half-time, Berwick had no answer as the home side ran in another six before the final whistle.

Adam Shanks netted four, Kevin Bell two and single strikes from Ben Lillburn, Paul Smith and substitute Gary Reed making up the final total.

Springhill 4

Tweedmouth Harrow 2

In this local derby, play was fast and furious during the first half, with Mark Lockhart and Michael Antcliffe scoring for Springhill and Josh Dixon and Craig Anderson on target for Harrow.

In the second half, Springhill took the points thanks to a second goal from Mark Lockhart and a Kyle Wood goal.