Magnificent seven for Rangers to see off Kites

Red House Farm Kites 1 Longhoughton Rangers 7

Under 12, Division Two

Longhoughton Rangers kept up their blistering start to life in Division Two with an outstanding display of teamwork and attacking flair, sweeping aside a talented Red House Farm team in the process.

It took a while for Rangers to get a grip on the game with Cormack, Lawton and Threlfall eventually stamping their authority on the midfield and the tireless running of Patterson and Fairbairn upfront causing massive problems for the Kites defence.

On 15 minutes, the deadlock was broken when Alex Threlfall’s delightfully flicked pass over the defence was latched onto by Lawton on the right. After shrugging off a defender’s challenge at the by-line, Ben’s pin-point cross was met at the near-post by a thumping header from Patterson (0-1).

Three minutes later, Rangers doubled their lead. After a neat interchange of passes between Fairbairn and Cormack on the left, Joseph cut inside and laid a perfectly-weighted pass into the path of Threlfall, whose perfectly-struck first-time shot across the goalkeeper found the bottom left corner (0-2).

Moments later, a quick break brought the Kites back into the game (1-2).

Rangers’ response was instantaneous – a piece of Cormack magic saw him evade three tackles and split the Kites defence with a peach of a pass. Patterson made no mistake hammering his shot past the on-coming keeper (1-3).

After the break, Rangers, now firmly in the driving seat, extended their lead when a Lawton corner was headed clear of the box by the Kites defence straight to the grateful Gareth Rickaby who unleashed a 25-yard thunderbolt into the top right corner (1-4).

Two minutes later, a sloppy pass out of defence gifted the visitors a fifth with a perfectly-placed left-foot drive into the bottom corner (1-5).

The unrelenting Longhoughton pressure was again rewarded when Fairbairn raced down the right-wing and lobbed a ball into Lawton in the box. His first-time effort was brilliantly saved by the Kites keeper, but he could only watch as it looped straight back to Ben as he made no mistake second time round (1-6).

Hats off to a physically strong Red House Farm team who never dropped their heads and were still looking to create something. But a foul on Fairbairn in the box resulted in a Rangers penalty, Kristian Atkinson stepping up and slotting the ball in the bottom right corner (1-7).

There was still time for one last piece of action as the Kites were awarded a penalty in the dying seconds for a trip in the box. Zac Stephenson in the Rangers goal guessed the right way and saved the firmly-hit shot down to his left.