Last-gasp goal adds to misery

Alnwick town v whickham'''Gary Patterson tries to breakdown the whickham defence
Alnwick town v whickham'''Gary Patterson tries to breakdown the whickham defence

An 85th-minute goal condemned Alnwick Town to their third league defeat in a row, as their miserable start to the season continued.

The St James’ Park side, who have won just one game this term, were left to endure more misery as Whickham stole the points late on, when Sam MacIntosh’s cross-come-shot looped over keeper Brian Brooks.

Town’s last-gasp heartbreak was compounded moments later when they had a goal controversially ruled out.

Yet again, it was a defeat that was hard to take for an Alnwick side who played well and created chances. But once more, the black ‘n’ whites were left to rue a series of missed chances.

Although, home stopper Brooks did make a number of good saves in the first-half to keep Whickham at bay in Saturday’s Ebac Northern League Division Two clash.

Alnwick had the first chance through Chris Moffat but he saw his effort punched wide.

Whickham went close to breaking the deadlock in the 22nd minute when Tony Thirkell beat the offside trap but Brooks was quick off his line to make a fine stop.

Town went even closer to taking the lead just after the half-hour when Wyn Fremlin hit a shot from outside the area, only to see his fine effort hit the cross-bar.

At the other end, Brooks was looking solid when called upon.

Neither side could find a breakthrough before the interval, with Whickham perhaps seeing more of the ball.

Alnwick had a decent second half and went close on a number of occasions through Moffat, Fremlin and Tony Brown, but were unable to find the net.

With the match in its closing stages, Whickham grabbed an undeserved lead.

MacIntosh sent a high ball over from the touchline and while Brooks managed to get a hand to it, he was unable to keep it out.

It was harsh, especially as MacIntosh’s effort didn’t look as though it was meant as a deliberate shot.

Alnwick thought they had snatched a point in the 88th minute when Brown’s corner sailed into the net, after Whickham keeper Scott Cresswell misjudged the flight of the ball.

Club officials say the referee pointed to the centre circle before changing his mind to signal a foul on the keeper, despite no one making contact.

Alnwick are at home to Darlington RA on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and host West Allotment Celtic on Tuesday (7.30pm). Both matches are Division Two clashes.

Alnwick (v Whickham): Brooks, Makin, Catlow, Murray, McPherson, Patterson, Brown, D Lowes (Colley), Fremlin, Moffat, Hodge (Thompson). Subs: Kidd, Jackson