Honours even in six-goal thriller

NABC U14 Division Two

FC Amble Juniors 3 Newcastle City Inter 3

After last week’s hard-fought victory over the Hawks with a narrow but well-deserved 0-1 win, Amble were looking forward to this encounter against Newcastle City having already beaten them away from home earlier in the season.

With the rain coming down hard both teams took a little time to settle on the ball. City had the best few chances in the opening minutes with Amble’s keeper Cameron Roper collecting the ball comfortably.

Jason Imeson played a good ball from the middle of the park into Jordan King. The keeper raced off his line to save but the ball fell to King again and he wasted no time placing the ball into an empty net, 1-0.

Amble dominated the next few minutes with a good cross from James Oliver but no one for Amble could make clean contact, with the City defence clearing the ball to safety.

Minutes later Newcastle got a corner that was swung in at the near post, and again no one made contact and the ball floated into the corner of the net, 1-1.

The back four of Straughan, Flanighan, Aston, and Heckels kept things tight with some sound defending to stop City having a strike on target.

Callum Fenwick then bombed down the right hand side after a lovely one-two with Ronan Straughan. Fenwick turned the defender beautifully and put the ball in for Jordan King, whose shot was blocked by the big defender.

Minutes later it was City’s turn to bombard the Amble defence and with the left winger cutting into the box, Andy Flanighan came across and slid in, making a good interception for Amble to go in 1-1 at half time.

After the break both teams came out trying to get that crucial second goal. Amble conceded a corner after a good challenge, the ball was delivered into the Amble six-yard box and an Amble head on the ball first, but the ball deflected into his own net, 1-2.

Amble pressed for an equaliser with Brad Little trying to play in Jordan King and then Ali Batey. Amble were then caught on the break and the City forward took full advantage of a mix-up at the back beating Cameron Roper from close range, 1-3.

With 17 minutes left Amble pressed again for a goal and this paid off when Jason Imeson played a beautiful ball down the right for Ali Batey who cut in and tricked the defender going on to slot the ball home with his left foot, 2-3.

With City pulling players back to hold onto their slender lead. Amble pressed once more with Max Anderson playing the ball to Callum Fenwick, who whipped to ball into the City six yard box. The ball was cleared only as far as the penalty spot.

Amble’s captain and birthday boy Brad Little got to the ball first and placed his shot into the bottom corner of the net to equal the scores, 3-3.

With five minutes to go both teams went for the winner with Amble having the better chances. Jordan King found himself in space down the left and, with the keeper coming off his line, he chipped the keeper who just got his hands to the ball.Callum Fenwick had a chance that hit the side netting, while Max Anderson made a good run into the box, only to be stopped by City’s last defender.

In an exciting end to the game both teams had to settle for a share of the points, as the final whistle went.

Amble: C Roper, R Straughan, A Flanighan, J Aston, M Anderson, C Fenwick, B Little, J Imeson, J Oliver, J King, A Batey, B Heckels.