High fives for Alnmouth as they oust Highfields

North Northumberland Football League round-up

Sanderson Cup

Alnmouth Utd 5 Highfields Utd 1

Having suffered an extra-time defeat last Saturday in the Anderson Cup, Alnmouth United fared better this week in the Sanderson Cup as they coasted past Berwick side Highfields United.

Andy Murray registered the first strike on 20 minutes when he outwitted two defenders before firing home with an angled drive.

Ten minutes later, the lead was doubled by Matt Robson with a 25-yard pile-driver.

Judd Donohoe added the third before the break by springing the offside trap as he ran clear from Peter Murray’s throughball to slot past keeper Craig Young.

Peter Murray scored the fourth himself soon after the interval, finding the net from a narrow angle after evading the attentions of opponents down the left.

Robson then had a second chalked off for offside before the visitors gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Simon Hargreaves reduced the deficit.

Peter Murray soon restored the four-goal margin.

However, with his second in similar fashion to his first –set away by Dan Carey – fleet footwork took him past his markers before he smashed into the net from the edge of the area.

Alnmouth: M Ashurst, D Dawson, R Jones, D Carey, R Chisholm (J Lowes), P Murray, L Jefferson (S Ayre), B Rogerson, A Murray, J Donohoe (J Frost), M Robson.

Highfields: C Young, P Hargreaves, P Lee, A Rutherford, A Murray, L Sykes, M Watson, R Curle, S Hargreaves, C McDonald, R Wedderburn, M Drummond, A Jeffrey.

Match sponsor: Schooner Hotel, Alnmouth. Referee: K Appleby.

United face a sterner test this Saturday as county cup duty sees them up against high-flying Alliance side Grainger Park, kick-off 2pm.

Lowick United had Paul Fairley on target but Bamburgh went through thanks to two goals apiece from Peter Maughan and Johnny Johnson.

Lee Dodd helped himself to a hat-trick as Tweedmouth Rangers netted eight times against North Sunderland, whose single goalscorer was Bobby Douglas.

Division Two

Leaders Belford extended their lead at the head of the table with a seven-goal victory at Wooler Reserves.

Mark Dunlop netted four times.

Darren Thompson, Ross Moor and Neil Jefferson were also on the scoresheet.

Eglingham FC claimed their first league win as two first-half goals from Tristan Oliver gave them the points against Alnmouth.

The game between Tweedmouth Harrow and Craster Rovers had to be abandoned after 62 minutes due to a serious injury sustained by one of the players.

Runciman Cup

Reece and Liam Ramsay both hit their target four times as Amble St Cuthbert netted 11 goals against Lynemouth Anglers.

NFA Minor Cup

A Michael Antcliffe penalty midway though the first half saw Springhill progress at Embleton WR in the NFA Minor Cup.

Two Kevin Bell goals and a Ben Lilburn goal gave Red Row a win after extra-time in the game against Willington Quay Saints.