Heat is on at league summit

Action from Alnwick Town Reserves v Longbenton.
Action from Alnwick Town Reserves v Longbenton.

Northern Alliance round-up
Premier Division

The race at the top of the table shows no sign of letting up as Amble United, Heaton Stannington and Blyth Town all recorded big wins on the road on Saturday, writes Jon Tait.

United’s Sean Taylor celebrated hitting a hat-trick in a resounding 6-0 success at Wallsend Town, with Ross Gair, Josh Hay and Matty Graham sticking away the others.

Heaton’s Lee Johnson fired in two stunning long-range free-kicks and Jonathon Wright also plundered a double in a good win at Harraby.

The Cumbrians had Darren Addison head in and were pressing until two goals in stoppage time sealed it.

Blyth Town’s Daniel Beresford had his shooting boots on at Percy Main and also hit a hat-trick, with Chris Lyle and John Iveson also hitting the net, while James Leggett hit a late consolation. Town keeper Scott Earl also saved a penalty.

Rob Haney, Kevin Westphal and Alex Redfearn scored for Seaton Delaval in the first half against Rutherford, but the bottom side rallied and pulled one back through Peter Williams. John Robson added the fourth for the Red Devils.

Three players saw red at Killingworth Sporting as Jamie Patterson’s double gave Ashington Colliers the points, Jack Foulds’ strike proving just a consolation.

Josh Walsh fired Shank-house ahead at Walker Central. Chris Hamilton levelled soon after and Paul Collinson’s deflected stoppage-time drive won it.

Chris Hall grabbed his customary goal for Stocksfield at Whitley Bay A, but it ended all-square, with Liam Harris on target for the Seahorses.

Division One

Jordan Nellis slammed in his second hat-trick in a week, taking his season’s tally to 25, as Wallington kept their promotion charge on track against Cullercoats and Red House Farm were also winners by the same scoreline against Bohemians, with Ross Bailey, Paul Newton-Eddy and Mark Sheeran sharing the joy.

Daniel Wright and Billy Holden both hit doubles for Ponteland United in their romp at Willington Quay Saints, with Craig Cook and Peter Scott getting the others and Mark Henderson and Ryan Ferrier replying (full report below).

Northbank also crashed in six against Newcastle Uni – Cameron Wilson (two), Mark Worral (two), Ollie Driver and Tom Rickerby on the scoresheet.

Jordan Watson, Mason and Bond were Cramlington Town’s hit men at Redheugh, who netted through Ben Howell, while Steven Spence and Steve McLaughlin fired home for Newcastle Chemfica against Hexham, who had Marc Nixon on target.

Division Two

Alnwick Town Reserves had Mickey Hall, Steven Hogg and Stephen Hutchins net against Longbenton, with the Bulls taking a point through a Dan Gove header, Anthony Brown 30-yard screamer and Pete Webster volley.

Scott Jasper (two) and Lee Crammond were North Shields Athletic’s scorers at Newcastle Benfield Reserves as they continue to lead the way in Division Two. Stephen Thompson pulled one back for Benfield’s youngsters.

Goals from Dan Waller, Lee Cuthbertson, Martin Guy and Tony Smith saw Birtley Saint Joseph’s win a seven-goal thriller at Blyth Isabella in what was a dress-rehearsal for the Pin Point Recruitment Amateur Cup Final.

Jeff Fuller (two) and Billy Olechnowicz scored for Isabella.

Wideopen’s great form continued as they trailed to Richard Latimer’s goal for Wallsend Boys Club, but hit back through Ross Dickinson, Leigh Shickle and David Gabittus and Wooler kept in the promotion hunt with goals in each half from Stuart Bertram and Mark Forrest at Seaton Burn.

Lee Waugh struck twice in New Fordley’s win over High Howdon, with Alex Nesbit getting the other and Jason Pearson replying.

Swalwell continued to move away from the basement as Richie Routledge hit three at Grainger Park. Craig Wood got the other and James Walker was on target for the hosts.

Alston’s Dan Alexander struck twice against Cramlington United, who got themselves out of the basement with a Dan Grey double.

FA Inter-League Cup

The Northern Alliance’s hopes of advancing in the FA Inter-League Cup were dashed by a second-half strike from the Cheshire League’s Ged McAllister, who swept in a breakaway, left-wing cross in the 66th minute.

In a tight game in windy conditions at Witton Albion, the Alliance, represented by Carlisle City, pushed forward in search of a leveller in the last 10 minutes but Cheshire defended stoutly to advance to the next round.