Hay bags four as Shilbottle hit the Bohemiens for six

editorial image



Shilbottle ran out comfortable winners of this match played in glorious conditions at the Welfare Ground, although the final result looked unlikely at the interval.

The game was fairly even early on but it was Gosforth who opened the scoring after 15 minutes when Dan Ure shot home at the back post to put his side ahead.

Shilbottle struggled to turn pressure into goals but finally drew level just before the break when Josh Hay glanced home a header from a Liam Brooks cross.

The Colliers play improved following the restart and they took the lead on 55 minutes when good interplay between Hay and Brooks set up Joe Henderson to score his first goal for the club with a good strike.

The lead was extended on 65 minutes when Josh Hay struck a post but followed up to shoot home the rebound and he completed his hattrick five minutes later when he headed home a left wing corner from Matty Graham.

When Hay got his fourth and Shilbottle’s fifth shortly after, the game was as good as over, however, Gosforth were gifted a penalty almost from the restart which Phil Airey shot home to reduce the deficit.

Any hopes of a comeback were extinguished five minutes from time when Kenny Collins finished well having been set up by Ryan Douglas to complete a resounding victory.



Whilst dominating possession from start to finish, the now monotonously regular early gifts to their opponents were this time not overcome as Alnmouth struggled to penetrate Prudhoe’s back line.

The visitors had hardly touched the ball before they were presented with the lead on seven minutes when an attempted clearance rebounded off the closing forward Scott Brown and into an empty net.

There was no panic at this stage however as the home side patiently built but only forced ‘keeper Mark Clark into one save of note, turning Sean Anderson’s first time volley from range round a post before United slipped further behind on the half hour.

Committing men forward left open a susceptibility to the break and although apparently offside, the referee over-ruled the assistant during such a break and Connor Bell ran clear to slot past Mick Ashurst.

The second period saw Alnmouth again exert pressure of sorts and reduced the deficit with half an hour remaining when Liam Jefferson combined with Kevin Bell to feed Anderson whose centre across the face of goal was converted by Andy Murray.

Try as they might and with plenty of play around the box, the frantic Seasiders were unable to produce enough invention to create further openings and the Seniors were able to hold out for the win.

Alnmouth: M Ashurst, A Martin, R Jones, J Frost, R Wright, L Jefferson, M Brown (B Rogerson), A Murray, S Anderson, R Taylor, K Bell.

Match sponsor: Blackshaws, Alnwick.

* This Saturday United entertain Wallsend Town in the NFA Minor Cup. KO 1:30 pm.