Harrow’s joy of six in derby

Sportsworld North Northumberland League

Division One

Belford 0 Shilbottle CW 5

Belford started slowly and fell behind to a Brad Wake goal after six minutes.

Shilbottle were playing some good football and with 44 minutes played Ali Turvey netted a second goal for the visitors.

The second half was fairly even but Brad Wake netted his second of the game on 55 minutes with Phil Grey and Chris Chisholm adding two more goals before the final whistle.

Berwick United 2

Tweedmouth Harrow 6

It was Harrow who took the honours after this local derby as they netted four times during the first half.

Shaun Walton netted twice for Berwick after half-time but Harrow also netted another two before full-time.

Goalscorers for Harrow were Michael Brown and Josh Dixon with two each and single goals from Andrew Burgon and Johnny Gill.

AFC Newbiggin 3

Red Row Welfare 2

After a good fast-flowing game it was Newbiggin who came out on top at the final whistle.

Ross Muter for Newbiggin and Paul Smith for Red Row were the first-half scorers while in the second half Karl Davison and Tony Messenger both scored for Newbiggin to send them to the top of Division One.

Newbiggin also missed a penalty in either half.

Robson Cup, Round One

Shilbottle CW Reserves 0

Bamburgh Castle 3

Shilbottle entertained the league leaders in this Robson Cup first-round tie but despite a bold showing were eliminated from the competition.

Play was fairly even in the first half and the Colliers were unfortunate not to take the lead when an effort from Wayne Scott flew just over the bar and John Mowbray put a good chance wide of the target, having been set up by Kevin Elliott.

Just before the break Bamburgh had a golden opportunity to score following a fine save from Liam Roper in the Shilbottle goal but the ball was screwed wide of the open goal.

The ball was well over the by-line before being crossed into the box for Chris Dalton to strike home, but despite strong protests from the Colliers defenders, the goal was allowed to stand.

Within five minutes, Chris Dalton had struck again to provide a cushion for the visitors.

The Colliers rallied well from this set-back but despite efforts from Scott Muckle and John Mowbray that went close, they were unable to reduce the deficit.

A last-minute strike from Bamburgh substitute Gareth McCann only served to add insult to injury.

Shilbottle: L Roper, S Muckle, J Dixon, K Lowes, W Allan, W Scott, K Elliott, J Mowbray, R Cooke, A Pringle, R Jackson, J Donohoe, J York. Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Kevin Elliott. Match sponsor: Les Ternent (Shilbottle).

Wooler Res 1

Tweedmouth Rangers 4

A Peter McAskill hat-trick plus a goal from Lee Dodd saw Tweedmouth progress through to the next round.

Jack Strangeways was the home-team scorer.

Division Two

Boulmer FC 6

Amble St Cuthbert 2

A Karl Taylor goal gave Amble the lead at half-time.

Although Gary Taylor scored for the visitors in the second half, it was hat-tricks from Sean Toal and Mark Boyle that saw Boulmer claim the points at the final whistle.