Gair injury blow as Town’s lack of form continues

Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.
Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.



Alnwick suffered a second successive loss with adisappointing 3-0 away defeat when they travelled to face Ryton and Crawcrook on Saturday.

The pitch and weather were perfect but by the time 4.45pm came around, the gloss had worn off and Alnwick had another serious injury when Ross Gair, hit with a double tackle, sustained a bad ankle injury and will be out for a few weeks.

The result summed up a poor day with Alnwick’s loss of form still evident.

The visitors had built up a team with a fair number of young players and their game plan was fast front running onto ground passing.

The opening quarter was fast and furious with no real gain by either but Alnwick’s defence was undone after 15 minutes when Ryton attacked down the right and a long cross to the far post where Rhys Harbottle ghosted in behind to head in from close Alnwick nearly equalised a few minutes later when Danny Lowes sent a deep cross which

visiting keeper Tom Chrostowski came out to cut out and fumbled falling and Darren Riddle was bearing down but the keeper just managed to grab at a second effort.

The visitors fast attacking policy and a defence splitting ball allowed Same Moore to run clear and shoot past the advancing Luc Glasper: 0-2

Alnwick had to substitute Tom McPherson after 30 minutes due to a persistent injury.

Half-time arrived with the visitors two goals up.

Alnwick upped their game in the second half, with neither keeper being really tested. The game fell into a mid-field battle but Ryhope & Crawcrook having a slight edge.

Alnwick started to get on top a bit in the last quarter but were forced to change mid-field when Ross Gair was chopped down from behind without any action taken by the referee. A few minutes later Chris Glass had to be substituted by Robert Baker.

Alnwick started to exert more pressure and Ross Straughan was unlucky when a flicked ball came back off the bar.

The visitors had some half chances but the home defence held out. Alnwick to their credit kept going and in the last five minutes Darren Riddle slipped a pass out to Robert Baker, outpacing the full-back, cut in towards the box and hit a swerving shot but it went wide.