Fine victory over bogey team

Lowick...4 North Shields...2


THE first game of December saw a freezing day, with snow just across the border in Scotland threatening the game.

North Shields have been Lowick United’s bogey team and were the only team Lowick failed to beat last season, drawing twice.

This year, they were sitting in second position after a strong start.

The game was set to be a great advert for the league as both teams play an attractive passing game that the fans love to watch.

North Shields played with the wind at their backs in the first half and this was to prove a good decision as their keeper had a fantastic kick that reached the Lowick goal area every time.

The home side began well, with Hately playing an unfamiliar role on the right of midfield with great success, pressurising the North Shields defence and going close on a couple of occasions but thwarted by the positioning of the keeper.

Hay and Becky Robinson also went close in the opening quarter after fine work from Jenny Patterson and Tang.

Shields were playing a tight passing game, overloading the midfield in an attempt to stop the runs of Bobsa Stewart and Hately on the wings and only some great interceptions from the defence of Jodie Robinson, Thompson, Cass and Frame kept the score level.

In the 20th minute, a speculative shot from the striker caught the wind and just evaded keeper Darling’s hands to give Shields the lead (0-1).

Lowick tried to hit back immediately and hit the post from a superb Hately shot that had the keeper beaten.

Michelle Stewart replaced Hay to add pace upfront and made an immediate impact, driving on to pass to Becky Robinson who hit the post for the second time.

North Shields won a free-kick on the edge of the box and their striker hit a superb shot that gave Darling no chance to make it 0-2.

With time running out before half-time, Lowick pressed again and Hately managed to stab the ball home from close range to make it 2-1 going into the break.

Lowick came out with renewed vigour in the second-half determined to turn the game around.

The United coaching team decided to really go for it and took off defender Cass to be replaced by striker Hay to play a three-four-three formation.

This proved to be an immediate hit with chance after chance coming their way.

Hay finally made the break-through in the 70th minute after fine work from Stewart (2-2).

Time after time, Lowick attacked the goal but it was only a slip from the keeper that let Bobsa Stewart in to score to make it 3-2 in the 80th minute.

They were further rewarded in the 85th minute as Jodie Robinson drove a long shot from midfield which sneaked past the keeper to make the final score 4-2.

Lowick United’s final game before Christmas is Sunday’s away game to Walbottle.

Kick-off is 1.30pm.