Extra-time winner clinches victory for Chevington

Morpeth Sunday League

The second round of the Challenge Cup contained several tight encounters and none more so than East Chevington’s 5-4 win over Felton after extra-time.

On target for East Chevington were Darren Smith (three), Paul Smith and Gary Reid, with the Felton responses coming from Alex Makin, Tony Brown and a James Jackson double.

Morpeth Chantry edged out Bomarsund 3-2 with their goals coming from Liam Marshall, Ryan Murphy and Peter Allaway. The Bomarsund replies were scored by Aidy Grey and Ross Muter. Shakespeare Tavern also progressed by a single-goal margin as they defeated Amble Dock Hotel 2-1, with the highlight being a brilliant 35-yard free-kick from Mal Lawson. The Tavern’s other goal was scored by David Chivers and Amble Dock’s solitary goal was scored by Jason Hindhaugh.

Pegswood Ex took their place in the next round with a 5-2 win over Northumberland HMP thanks to braces from Ashley McAlpine and Stuart Marshall and a solitary goal from Ross Donnelly.

Bedlington Barrington Arms sailed into the next round with a fine 8-1 away win against Blackthorn Rovers. On the scoresheet for the Barrington were David Scott, Calum Donohoe, Rob Eastway, Shaun Cowell (two) and Dylan Williamson helped himself to a hat-trick for the third game in a row.

In Division One’s sole game this week, Wharton Arms Bedlington recorded a 6-0 win over Amble Tavern thanks to a double from Robbie Black and a goal each from Si Cunningham, Jamie Chapman, Chris Dobey and Josie Bolam.

In the first of Division Two’s games, Riverside Lodge cemented their place at the top of the table with a 9-1 win over Alnmouth Argyle. Dan Thompson led the way with a hat-trick, Chris Martin and man-of-the-match Darren Percy both scored twice and the victory was rounded off by a goal from Glen Reardon and a Nathan Williamson penalty.

North End Trap logged a 6-1 away win against bottom side Amble Blue Bell. North End Trap were slow to start and Amble Blue Bell managed to keep the ball in the early stages. However, the deadlock was broken when, after 10 minutes, a Mark Nixon corner was headed out to the edge of the area and North End Trap captain Phil Airey lashed home from 25 yards.

North End took the game to Amble, with Wayne Simpson putting in an outstanding display in goal.

Their lead was doubled with fittingly both of their lively wingers involved as a Ryan Chisholm effort was palmed out by the goalkeeper and Mark Nixon made no mistake.

The Trap scored their third before half-time as Graham Dewitt linked up with Ryan Chisholm and he played in man-of-the-match Mark Nixon to grab his second of the game.

Shortly after half-time North End found themselves 4-0 up after a great all-round passing move involving four players was finished off by striker Kevin Chapman, who then scored his second and his team’s fifth.

Amble got on the scoresheet as Phil Airey scored at the wrong end but their misery was compounded when Jack Small hammered home to round off the victory.

North End ended up with nine men on the pitch for the last half-an-hour as two players succumbed to injury following a triple substitution.