Embleton move to top of NNL Division 2 with win over Spittal

editorial image


Amble St Cuthbert 1

Bedlington Breakers 2

Amble led at half time by a single goal from Reece Ramsay but missed numerous chances to increase the lead .

In the second half they were left to rue those chances as Bedlington hit back to take the points thanks to goals from Robert Waite and Shay Richardson.


Craster Rovers 0

Highfields United 3

Highfields secured their first points of the season following this win as Craster had the bulk of play but the visitors from Berwick made the most of their chances .

Two first half goals from Jackson Stewart saw Highfields ahead at half time and he went on to complet his hat trick after the break to secure a very welcome win for the visitors .

Springhill 2

Tweedmouth Harrow 7

A good first half performance from Harrow saw them net four times with Terry Fannon scoring for Springhill.

Harrow kept up the pressure in the second half scoring another three with Andrew Skelly netting for Springhill .

Goalscorers for Harrow were Ross Richaerdson three, Kris Neil , Martin Tait, Andy Burgon and Mark Douglas .

Embleton 3

Spittal Rovers 1

A near full strength EWR hosted high flying Spittal Rovers at the Village Sports Field on Saturday.

A very one sided first half saw EWR notch three times and race into a half time lead.

Two minutes in saw Embleton come close after P Grey fired a 30 yard shot wide with a great build-up play from the home side.

The deadlock was soon broken when A Douglass found the back of the net after a lovely one two around the edge of the box.

With EWR firmly in control, the second goal came on the 20 minute mark. J Colley ran onto the end of a clinical through ball from P Grey and helped them go two up.

The roaring fans didn’t have to wait long for their cherished EWR to find the net for the 28th time in only the sixth game of the season. An excitable long range effort from D Atwell found J Colley at the edge of the box. With the keeper fast approaching Colley confidently found an open goal and fired home over the keeper, making it EWR’s third just before half time.

The second half proved to be more of an even contest with Spittal getting a generous portion of the possession.

With frustration in the air, the tackles started flying. This resulting in number of yellow cards for both teams.

EWR went close to a forth midway through the second half as J Colley miss timed an award volley when he found himself in space 10 yards out.

Spittal pulled a goal back in the 77th minute through Craig Howard’s second of the season. A poor clearance from a corner gave Spittal a glimmer of hope but it proved a little too late as EWR saw the game out to move back to the top of the league.