Defensive lapses costly as Alnwick go down at home

editorial image



It was another day to forget for Alnwick as they conceded another five goals at home, this time to Easington, on Saturday.

A team that saw six changes from last week did get one on the scoresheet, but the result was ultimately the same.

The deadlock was broken 12 minutes in, when Aiden Goode’s deflected free-kick found the top corner to the goalkeeper’s left.

A second was added in the 20th minute, with sloppy defending to blame. Keeper Callum Brooks rushed out to clear, with Ross Straughan also going to do the same job.

The pair collided, leaving Easington striker Joe Kerridge with an easy finish into an empty net.

Alnwick were lucky to escape going three goals behind with half an hour on the clock as Brooks made a great save to his left on the line at point-blank range after a Colliery corner.

Alnwick’s luck was out at the other end as Darren Riddell’s cross to the far post caught the wind and got visiting keeper Kyle Donaldson scrambling. The keeper did get a touch, parrying the ball off David Brown, before it came back off the keeper and went wide.

Alnwick almost took just a 2-0 deficit in at the break, but Jack Devlin added a third a minute before the half-time whistle, heading a cross back across goal, catching Brooks going the wrong way. Brooks’ last-ditch dive was in vain as the ball found the bottom corner.

Just a minute into the second half, hope was restored. Brown crossed to Darren Riddell, who was cutting in from the left. After bringing the ball down, Riddell found the top corner with a curling shot into the far post, making it 3-1 with 46 minuteson the clock.

Easington looked to hit back, and Luke Page went through on goal. He threw himself to the ground after jumping over Brooks, seeking a penalty, but only got a yellow card.

The visitors’ three goal cushion was restored in the 54th minute. Brett Gillatt was brought down in the box by a clumsy challenge from substitute Lewis Robson. The visitors’man on the spot slotted the penalty home, sending Brooks the wrong way to make the scoreline a more comfortable 4-1 to the away side.

Joe Kerridge almost added a fifth as he hit a ferocious driven shot across goal, forcing a great reaction save from Brooks, who managed to tip the ball over the top.

With three minutes to go, Brooks saved Alnwick’s blushes again, making an excellent recovery save. After originally being out of position, he got back across his line to block the shot from Kerridge.

There was still to be one more goal, however. Connor O’Neil’s 91st-minute corner flew over the heads of the keeper, defenders and opposition attackers to loop straight into the top corner with a little help from the weather on its way to confirm what was a comfortable away win.