Craster and Rothbury both win through in NNL Bilclough Cup

editorial image



Tweedmouth Rangers 5

Alnwick Town Reserves 2

Alnwick Reserves had beaten Tweedmouth 3-0 in the league just a few weeks earlier, so they knew they were in for a tough game.

But Rangers started well and raced into a 4-0 lead at the break to effectively kill off the game.

Peter McAskill gave the home side a good start with a goal after two minutes, with further scoring from Keiran Cromarty and Sean Simpson giving Rangers the lead at half-time.

At the start of the second half, Johnny Simpson netted a fifth for the home side, but Alnwick hit back to score twice through Danny Donohoe.

Rangers then suffered an injury scare as Gibson, who had only been on the pitch a few minutes, was carried off with a possible ruptured muscle in his leg, and they had to see out the last 15 minutes of the game with 10 men.

Craster Rovers 5

Highfields United 1

Craster went three goals ahead before half-time and completed a comfortable win as they netted two more before the final whistle .

Ryan Wedderburn netted a second-half consolation for Highfields, with Philip Bright with two, Harry Woolhouse , Glen Robson and Phil Grey the goalscorers for Craster.

Rothbury 8

Amble St Cuthbert 1

A good performance from Rothbury saw them comfortably through to the next round.

Reece Ramsay netted a consolation for Amble, while Craig Sutton and Greg Woodburn, with two each, and Michael Old, Kyle Smith, Keith Oliver and Paul Morgan were the Rothbury goalscorers .


Belford 1

Red Row Welfare 4

A Darren Smith hat-trick saw Red Row move six points clear at the top of the division. Max Anderson gave the visitors the lead, which they held until half-time .

After half-time, Darren Smith added a second, before Mark Dunlop scored for Belford.

A penalty was converted by Smith to extend the lead, and he completed his hat-trick with a fourth for the visitors .

Breakers Bedlington 4

Bamburgh Castle 2

A strong first-half performance from Breakers saw them score four times, with Ryan Wilson on two, Jordan Lashley and Michael Freathy all on the score-sheet.

Bamburgh improved after half-time and netted two goals through Johnny Johnson and Anthony Parkin before the final whistle .

Lowick 5

North Sunderland 1

A Ryan Thompson goal gave the visitors the lead, but Lowick hit back to lead at half-time, with goals from Paul Wood and Charlie Wharcup.

During the second half, two further goals from Paul Wood saw him complete his hat-trick, with Charlie Wharcup scoring his second of the game before the final whistle .


Embleton WR 12

Alnmouth 0

Nine points in three games allowed Embleton WR to cruise to the top of the league and leave Alnmouth floundering.

A full EWR squad for the first time this season found the back of the net 12 times.

Four goals from Chisholm, Colley’s three, Sleightholm’s brace and one each from Grey, Wilkin and Watson, plus a clean sheet from Paul Carss, sealed the victory.

Wooler 1

Springhill 0

Wooler missed plenty of chances during this game, and it was only a single second-half goal from Connor Cowans which separated the teams at the final whistle.

Saturday’s results were:

Bilclough Cup Prelim: Craster 5, Highfields 1; Tweedmouth Harrow 3, Forresters 2; Rothbury 8, Amble St Cuthbert 1; Tweedmouth Rangers 5, Alnwick Town Res 2.

Division one: Bedlington Breakers 4, Bamburgh 2; Belford 1, Red Row Welfare 4; Lowick United 5, North Sunderland 1.

Division two: Ashington Central v Spittal Rovers - post; Embleton 12, Alnmouth 0.

Fixtures for Saturday are:

Division one: Red Row Welfare v Tweedmouth Rangers; Bamburgh v Amble St Cuthbert; Bedlington Breakers v Alnwick Town Res; Lowick United v Belford; Rothbury v North Sunderland.

Division two: Springhill v Spittal.

Robson Cup prelim: Alnmouth v Forresters; Wooler v Craster.