Colliers conquer Castle with 9-goal rout

Division One

Bamburgh Castle 4 Shilbottle CW 9

Shilbottle continue to top the league following this victory, which provided a feast of goals at the Castle Green, Bamburgh.

In a pulsating first half, Danny Johnson opened the scoring for Bamburgh in the fourth minute, forcing home a Johny Johnson cross after a flowing end-to-end move down the right flank (1-0).

Liam Brooks had a good effort well saved by Bamburgh keeper Stanwix before Matty Graham latched onto a through-ball to put the Colliers level after 10 minutes (1-1).

A couple of minutes later, the Colliers were ahead when a shot from Brad Wake was parried into the path of Richard Brown who made no mistake from close range (1-2).

Play was fairly even until Bamburgh were awarded a controversial penalty after 25 minutes, which Gareth McCann put away with ease (2-2).

Bamburgh were now on a high and scored another couple of goals in a five-minute spell just after the half-hour mark. McCann got his second after good work from J Johnson (3-2) with Steve Archer making it 4-2 on 40 minutes with an accurate finish from a rebound.

The Colliers hit back and almost scored when a header from Josh Hay struck a post, but they did reduce the deficit just before the break when a stunning strike from Matty Graham found the top corner of the net.

Bamburgh led 4-3 at the interval in what had been a closely-fought half, but the game was to turn dramatically during the second period.

The Colliers drew level after 50 minutes with a soft penalty award which Matty Graham struck home to complete his hat-trick (4-4).

A couple of minutes later and they were in the lead when Liam Brooks scored from close range (4-5).

Bamburgh were struggling to get into the game at this stage as the away team produced some quality football.

When Josh Hay put the Colliers further head after 80 minutes, the match looked almost over (4-6).

That proved to be the case as Matty Graham ran riot with a further hat-trick in the last five minutes to bring his personal tally to six and leave Bamburgh a well-beaten side at the end (4-9).

Bamburgh: Stanwix, D Patten, Archer, Baillie, Quinlan, D Johnson, Farmer, Tanney, G McCann, Dixon, J Johnson, I Patten, Moore, Smith, Egdell, Brown. Match sponsor: R Carter and Son Family Butchers.

Shilbottle: A Wilson, R Douglas, C Graham, R Murray, R Hume, P Grey, B Wake, M Graham, R Brown, L Brooks, J Hay, P White, B Balmbra, R Gair. Shilbottle’s SFC Pizza man-of-the-match: Matty Graham.

Tweedmouth Rangers held onto second spot thanks to Peter McAskill, two, Gary Robertson and Mitchell Simpson.

North Sunderland’s reply was scored by Ryan Thompson. John Angus and Matt Crane were on target for Rothbury as they beat Springhill.

Highfields United had Simon Hargreaves, two, Jay Dagliesh and Ryan Weddburn all scoring as they beat Tweedmouth Harrow. Their single reply came from Johnny Blythe.

Division Two

Division Two leaders Wansbeck AFC had a Michael Freathy hat-trick and two Trevor Newman goals making up their total as they beat Lynemouth Anglers United, whose replies were scored by Keiran Egon.

Amble St Cuthbert 4 Embleton WR 2

In an entertaining match, the Cuddies took a deserved three points in their bid to catch the division’s leaders.

The first quarter-of-an-hour belonged to the home side, with a double save from the Embleton goalkeeper.

The visitors then started to make an impact with some good passing and had a shot that went inches wide before it appeared they had fashioned a good opener only for the effort to be ruled offside.

St Cuthbert’s stepped up their efforts again, Max Anderson shooting just wide before a quick counter-attack was finished impressively by striker Thomas Stones, who outpaced the Embleton defence with a run from the half-way line (1-0).

Despite two injury-induced substitutions at half-time, the home side continued to have most of the possession and produce most of the chances, and winger Liam Ramsay got past his full-back to finish emphatically, making it 2-0 just before the hour-mark.

Within five minutes, though, Embleton were back in the game with a superb shot from outside the area from the ever-competitive midfielder Jordan Frost (2-1).

The Cuddies, as usual, responded well and restored the two-goal margin when a testing cross from Dan Moyle was turned into his own goal by an Embleton defender (3-1).

With 12 minutes remaining, the home side were forced by another injury to play with 10 men, but still managed to produce chances and duly scored a fourth, substitute striker Ethan Iredale looping the ball in with a clever, improvised finish (4-1).

Despite a superb half-volley shot from Embleton substitute striker Alex Beeby reducing the margin, the home side saw out the last five minutes (4-2).

Amble St Cuthbert FC man-of-the-match: Reece Ramsay. Embleton WR FC man-of-the-match: Jordan Frost. Match sponsor: Longstaffs Coaches. Match ball sponsor and post-match hospitality: Radcliffe WM Club.