Colliers clock up a five-goal double delight

Shilbottle CW...3 Springhill FC...2

North Northumberland League, Division One

SHILBOTTLE just managed to come out on top in this close encounter at a windswept Welfare Ground.

The Colliers kicked off with the elements in their favour and took the lead after 10 minutes’ play.

A good free-kick by Adam Gattens was met by the head of Richard Brown and his flick found the back of the net.

Ross Jackson had a good attempt that flew just wide of the post before the Colliers doubled their advantage on the half-hour.

A fine shot from Kevin Elliott was fumbled by the Springhill keeper for James Jackson to tap in from close range.

The Colliers led by two goals at the interval.

The situation did not look too promising when Springhill pulled a goal back within five minutes of the restart through Martin Bell.

Any good chances were at a premium due to the difficult conditions.

However, Springhill did mange to draw level with 10 minutes to play when a long ball down the middle found Terry Fanon who shot into the corner of the net.

With the game heading for a draw it was the Colliers who produced a winner. With five to play, a good through-ball from Michael Brown put Richard Brown in the clear and he raced away to finish well.

There was still time for Kevin Elliott to put a good chance wide of a post as the Colliers finished the strongest.

Shilbottle: J Rutherford, A Gattens, A Makin, C Bell, A Metcalf, K Elliott, M Brown, P Grey, J Jackson, R Brown, R Jackson.

Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Chris Bell.

Match sponsor: Mrs ME Haddow (Shilbottle Post Office).

Belford FC...1 Shilbottle CW...2

SHILBOTTLE produced a fine performance to come out on top in this midweek encounter at Meadow Park, Belford.

Play was fairly even early on but it was the Colliers who finally took the lead after 20 minutes.

A cracking 30-yard drive from Phil Grey deceived the Belford keeper and ended up in the roof of the net.

The Colliers led by the only goal at the interval but should have increased their lead shortly after the restart when Richard Brown rounded the home keeper only to be robbed by a last-ditch tackle.

Belford drew level on the hour mark when a goal breakaway saw Gareth Pearson score from close range.

Shilbottle were unfortunate not to regain the lead when a good effort from Scott McMullen was well saved by the Belford keeper.

They got what turned out to be the winning goal with about 10 minutes left to play.

A long-ball into the box from Liam Conroy was met by a looping header from Andy Metcalf that found the corner of the net.

Belford rarely looked like retrieving the situation.

Shilbottle: J Rutherford, A Gattens, D Lillico, C Bell, A Makin, A Metcalf, M Brown, P Grey, S McMullen, R Brown, S Black, L Conroy, R Jackson, K Lowes.

Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Phil Grey.