Colliers clinch cup glory

Shilbottle v Tweedmouth Rangers'Liam Brooks in action for Shilbottle in the final'Picture Steve Miller
Shilbottle v Tweedmouth Rangers'Liam Brooks in action for Shilbottle in the final'Picture Steve Miller

Shilbottle CW 3 Tweedmouth Rangers 0

(Anderson Cup Final, at St James’ Park, Alnwick)

Shilbottle v Tweedmouth Rangers' Josh Hay in action for Shilbottle in the final'Picture Steve Miller

Shilbottle v Tweedmouth Rangers' Josh Hay in action for Shilbottle in the final'Picture Steve Miller

Shilbottle added the Anderson Cup to their First Division Championship title with this hard-fought victory at Alnwick on Saturday evening.

Play was fairly even early on before the Colliers nearly took the lead with an overhead kick from Matty Graham that just cleared the Tweedmouth bar.

Shilbottle eventually broke the deadlock on the half-hour when a pinpoint corner from Phil Grey was headed home by Josh Hay.

They almost doubled their advantage just before the break when Rikki Hume slid in to meet a Phil Grey free-kick, but put his effort just wide.

The interval arrived with the Colliers one goal to the good, but they increased their advantage within five minutes of the restart.

A fine individual goal by Matty Graham saw him sweep through the Tweedmouth defence to finish well.

The Colliers were comfortably on top at this stage, but the game took a turn on the hour-mark when Matty Graham blotted his copybook by being sent off for retaliation after being on the wrong end of a bad tackle.

This gave Tweedmouth a lift, but within a further 10 minutes the game was effectively over.

The Tweedmouth keeper was fortunate not to be red-carded when he fouled Josh Hay on the edge of the box when the striker was clean through on goal.

But the Colliers made them play when Chris Graham smashed the resultant free-kick into the corner of the net to take the Anderson Cup back to Shilbottle for the third time in the last six seasons.

Shilbottle: A Wilson, P White, C Graham, R Hume, B Balmbra, C Flanighan, M Graham, P Grey, R Brown, L Brooks, J Hay, R Murray, A Turvey. Man-of-the-match: Josh Hay (Shilbottle).

Amble St Cuthbert 2 Lowick United 0

Bilclough Cup Semi-Final

The Cuddies reached their second trophy final of the season, this time in the league’s premier cup competition, the Bilclough, played by both divisions of the North Northumberland League.

It was a comfortable win against promoted Lowick, if not as emphatic as the 5-1 victory in the previous semi-final between the same teams two weeks before.

The home side gradually got the upper hand, with striker Brad McClelland going close with a header from a corner, Mick Stewart stepping forward from the back and hitting a fine shot just wide of a post and Tim Hamilton, restored to midfield, having a header cleared off the line.

On 16 minutes, the pressure told and the Cuddies made the breakthrough. Thomas Stones playing a superb reverse through-ball into the path of Reece Ramsay who coolly slotted home with the outside of his foot.

A good flowing move on 20 minutes from the pacy St Cuthbert’s attack then led to another Reece Ramsay shot being blocked by a defender.

Brad McClelland went close, again combining well with Stones, and an Arron Thompson free-kick nearly eluded the Lowick keeper, Oliver Black, who managed to push it onto a post. Reece Ramsay was denied again, this time by the Lowick custodian.

The second half yielded fewer chances for the home side, but again Lowick failed to create an effort on the home goal, with big striker Kev Greshon being restricted by injury to come on for the last moments.

In the 59th minute, a well-delivered Reece Ramsay free-kick was nodded in by midfielder Joe Henderson to give the Cuddies a deserved cushion.

McClelland and Liam Ramsay were denied by some excellent keeping by Black, and substitute Timmy Young by some last-ditch defending.

The impressive Cuddies defence had dealt comfortably with whatever Lowick engineered and can be particularly proud of getting to the final of this competition with just one goal conceded from three ties.

Tweedmouth Rangers – who defeated Amble in the Robson Cup Final last season – and Craster Rovers play the second semi-final this Saturday, while the Cuddies take on Second Division champions Wansbeck, in the Runciman final at 6.30pm at St James’s Park, Alnwick.

Amble St Cuthbert man-of-the-match: Brad McClelland. Match sponsor: K Cabs, Amble. Matchball sponsor and post-match hospitality: Radcliffe WM Club.

Division One

Red Row netted seven times through Sean Palmer (two), Mark Smith, Jack Small, Luke Baston, Darren Smith and Sean Black. Rothbury’s lone reply was by Matt Crane.

Division Two

Hedgeley Rovers scored through Richard Johnson, but Lynemouth Anglers took the points thanks to goals from Craig Latta (two) and an Andrew Neil goal.

Duns FC, through Jamie Lackenby and Stephen Burns, progressed to the final of the Laidler/Lancaster Cup after an extra-time win over Alnmouth United, whose goal-scorer was John Winter.