Busy spell for Alnwick footballers after lockdown

It was a busy end of the season for Alnwick Town first team as they returned to action following the national lockdown at the start of the calendar year.
Alnwick Town FC.Alnwick Town FC.
Alnwick Town FC.

The lads took park in the Northern Alliance Premier Challenge Cup, giving new manager Richie Latimer the opportunity to get to know his squad and analyse where the side could improve next season.

A reasonably successful six games brought three wins, two draws and a solitary defeat as they finished the group as runners-up to Blyth Town.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The mini tournament brought with it several debuts as well as the vast majority of the existing squads getting good run outs. Josh Middleton was an ever present after impressing in the opening game against North Shields Athletic, the Development Squad regular joined by new faces Aaron Wright, Leon Nelson, John Lydon and Gary McCartney.

Two noticeable introductions were those of defender Scott Shepherd; the nineteen year old would go on to grab a last minute winner against Blyth Town and experienced centre forward Martin Roper who netted on debut to see off Seaton Delaval.

On Saturday, in the pouring rain at St James’ Park, Alnwick Town Development Squad beat Amble St Cuthbert 3-1 in the North Northumberland League. Goalscorers were Lewis Fairbairn, Tyler Henderson and Harry Felton, with former Alnwick player Brad McLelland netting for Amble.

The result leaves the Development Squad three points clear at the top of the table with four games remaining.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Also in the NNL on Saturday, Belford, who drew 3-3 with Swarland in midweek, lost 2-1 away to Ellington.

Alnwick Town Ladies failed in their bid to reach the Northumberland County Cup on Sunday when they lost their semi-final clash against Newcastle United.The game was played at Druids Park, but Alnwick were up against opposition from a higher division and went down to a disappointing 3-0 defeat.Earlier in the week, Alnwick Ladies played their final game of the group stages in the Subsidiary Cup and a 3-2 away win over South Shields meant they ended up topping their group to reach the knockout stages.

Goalscorers for Alnwick were Young, Stewart and Latto.