Blustery conditions dictate play

Sportsworld North Northumberland League round-up

Laidler/Lancaster Cup, Preliminary Round

Tweedmouth Harrow...6 Shilbottle CW Res...0

THE windy conditions proved difficult for both teams but in the first half, Harrow coped batter and netted twice before half-time.

In the second half, experience told and Harrow were able to net four more before the end of the game. Goal-scorers for Harrow were Darren Flanagan (two), Andrew Burgon, Craig Anderson, Nathan Short and Jake Stephenson with one goal apiece.

Berwick Utd...5 Bamburgh Castle...2

IN a good game, Bamburgh put up a spirited performance against the Division One leaders and took the lead with a goal from Johnny Johnson.

Berwick then hit back with two goals to take the lead, but on 40 minutes Stephen Archer grabbed an equaliser for Berwick.

The second half was again keenly contested but after 70 minutes Berwick regained the lead and netted two more before the final whistle.

Goal-scorers for Berwick were Simon Hargreaves (two), and single strikes from Fernadon Amarol, Johnathan Brown and Mitchell Simpson.

Hedgeley Rovers...2 Craster Rovers...6

CRASTER made progress as they hit Hedgeley for six with Edwin Gillon netting three, Mark Chatterson (two), and a Jake Paker goal making up the Craster total.

Division One

Embleton WR...1 Belford...3

IN a hard-fought game, a Craig Grieve goal for Belford separated the team at half-time.

Ross MacKenley equalised for Embleton at the start of the second-half but a Neil Jefferson penalty and a well-taken goal from the same player gave Belford the points to keep them in touch at the head of the division.

Wooler...6 Longhoughton Rangers...2

WOOLER got off to a dream start as Rob Shepherd netted with just 25 seconds played and the lead was doubled after just three minutes.

Later in the half, James Wallis pulled a goal back for Longhoughton but Wooler then scored a third to restore the advantage. The visitors didn’t give up and Rory Wood scored a second goal before half-time.

Wooler were the stronger team after half-time and ran in four more goals before the end of the game. Wooler’s other scorers were James Scott (four) and a goal from substitute James Spencer.

Division Two

Alnwick Tn U21...1 AFC Newbiggin...9

ON a blustery Greensfield, it was Newbiggin who coped better with the conditions to record a win over a plucky Alnwick side.

In the first half, Jake Morrison scored for Alnwick but Newbiggin netted twice to lead at half-time.

In the second half they used the conditions to their full advantage to net seven more before the final whistle. Michael Freathy led the way with four goals and Johnathan McAnaney netted twice to add to single goals from Paul Cooper, Adam Davison and Terry Angus.

North Sunderland...0 Red Row Welfare...2

IN a wind-spoilt game, the league leaders proved too strong for the home side. Mathew Graham gave Red Row the lead midway through the first half.

Ten minutes later a free-kick from veteran Stuart Marshall found its way through the wall and goalkeeper to make it two for Red Row. With the wind dictating play neither team could find another goal before the final whistle (full report below).

Alnmouth Utd...5 Amble St Cuthbert..3

IN difficult conditions, Alnmouth had a lot of pressure, but Amble were looking dangerous as they broke out of defence.

Rob Morton gave Alnmouth a first-half lead with Ryan Taylor adding a second.

Amble hit back as Andrew Coulter scored and they drew level when Junior Coutain scored.

Just before half-time Rob Morton netted his second to restore the lead.

At the beginning of the second half, Ryan Taylor scored his second of the game for Alnmouth’s fourth, but Amble came back for Junior Coutain to score his second goal of the game.

Play was close but with the last kick of the game Ryan Taylor netted his hat-trick for Alnmouth.