Belford edge 10-goal thriller

North Northumberland League round-up


Tweedmouth Harrow 4

Belford 6

In a free-flowing game, Belford took a fifth minute lead and before half-time another six goals were added to the scoreline with Belford holding a single goal advantage. The second half saw Harrow scoring once and Belford twice more before the final whistle. For Belford, Scott Hunter and Craig Grieve, netted two each and Ben Young and Lee Bowell, one apiece.

AFC Newbiggin 5

North Sunderland 1

Newbiggin kicked off and took the lead before Ryan Thompson equalised for North Sunderland. The home team then scored again before half-time then added another three before the final whistle.

Red Row Welfare 0

Shilbottle CW 1

Red Row kicked off their campaign with a good display but due to a combination of missed chances and strange decisions they came away from the game empty-handed. Red Row thought they had taken an early lead when Dan Palmer slotted home but the linesman’s flag was raised. It seemed as though it would just be a matter of time before Red Row got the goal their play deserved but a long ball and flick on opened up their defence and allowed Richie Brown in to give Shilbottle the lead.

In the second half, Bell raced through on goal only to be scythed down by the centre-half who somehow escaped with just a yellow card. Moments later Sherrington thought he had scored after outpacing the Shilbottle back-line only for the goal to be disallowed for offside.

Red Row squad: M Mavin, D Palmer, M Smith, M Straker, J Gray, S Sherrington, W Simpson, S Palmer, J Baston, D Smith, K Bell, J Giles, C Stroughton, R Groves, J Charlton, D Whenray. HFC Pizzas man-of-the-match: Sean Palmer. Match Sponsor: Performance Personal Training. Match ball sponsor: John Barclay.

Rothbury 5 Berwick Utd 2

A single goal for Rothbury separated the teams at half-time but after the interval Rothbury netted another four goals.Mitchell Ramsay, three, Bradley Welch and a Gavin Dick penalty made up the Rothbury total.


Craster Rovers 3

Boulmer FC 3

On three minutes Craster’s new signings combined perfectly, Joe Sleightholme playing a defence-splitting pass for James Thorpe to run on and slot the ball home. On 41 minutes, Boulmer got a deserved equaliser when an attack down the right found Craster’s defence static allowing Mark Boyle an easy finish. The half ended in controversy with a Craster player down injured in the Boulmer box. The referee deemed it not a head injury and allowed play to go on, and Boyle went unchallenged to claim his second goal.

On 70 minutes, it was three for the visitors as again Craster’s defence stopped and watched as a free-kick went unchallenged allowing Michael Leyton to fire home. With the game looking out of Craster’s reach, new manager Straughan threw on all his subs and pushed everyone forward in a last-gasp attempt to salvage something from the game. Boulmer were caught static in defence, the ball bounced through and Richard Stanwix stuck a toe out to deflect the ball past the keeper. And in the dying seconds of the game, Thorpe floated a perfect corner into the box for Andrew Hogg to thump home and claim a point.

Craster man-of-the-match: Richard Stanwix. Match sponsor: Billy Lumsden.

Lowick Utd 1

Tweedmouth Rangers 1

Peter McAskill scored to put the visitors ahead before Lowick, back in the league, drew level after 60 minutes when Karl Chapman netted direct from a corner.

Amble St Cuthbert 2

Bamburgh Castle 11

Bamburgh were the better team throughout this game and led by five goals after 20 minutes. Amble staged a brief comeback in the second half and scored twice through James Henderson and Tim Young but Bamburgh added six more during the half. Gareth McCann, five, Johnny Johnson, four, Alexander Mackay and Harry Roberts one each.

Shilbottle CW Res 2

Alnmouth Utd 2

Alnmouth opened strongly and took the lead after only five mintues’ play. Poor defensive play by the home side allowed Jordan Frost to break clear and shoot past Liam Roper in the Shilbottle goal. Alnmouth maintained their slender lead until the interval but Shilbottle drew level almost immediately following the restart. A free-kick into the box was headed on by John Mowbray for Ross Jackson to thrash into the net.

Shilbottle were now in the ascendancy and it was no surprise when they finally took the lead after 70 minutes. A cracking drive by Ross Jackson from outside the box found the top corner of the net to put the Colliers in front. But with only five minutes left on the clock Alnmouth struck back to draw level. A corner from the right was poorly defended and the ball fell to Jordan Frost to shoot home.

Shilbottle: L Roper, B Balmbra, T Hegney, W Farmer, K Lowes, K Collins, M Brown, K Elliott, R Jackson, J Mowbray, J Donohoe, J Dixon, R Cooke, G Robson. Shilbottle’s man-of-the-match: Kevin Elliott. Match sponsor: Les Ternent, Shilbottle.