Belford battle through Berwick defences to win

Sanderson Cup

Berwick Utd 1 Belford 3

On a heavy pitch, play was fairly even in the opening stages but after 20 minutes, Berwick were awarded a penalty and Nathan Sadler gave them the lead from the spot.

Belford came more into the game and a Ross Morton goal saw the teams level at half-time.

In the second half, play was again close but Belford took the tie with goals from Kevin Greshon after 68 minutes and Kevin France on 75 minutes.

AFC Newbiggin 9 Rothbury 3

In a close first half, Johnathan McEnaney and Tony Messenger were the Newbiggin scorers, while two Rothbury replies came from Craig Sutton via a direct free-kick and the penalty-spot.

After the break, Craig Sutton completed his hat-trick with a second penalty but, with a strong display, the home club netted seven times as McEnaney completed his hat-trick.

Messenger added his second, John Bone, two, Michael Angus and Ross Muter were all on the scoresheet.

North Sunderland 2

Red Row Welfare 1

North Sunderland led a decent game at half-time thanks to a goal from Andrew Robertson.

During the second half, play became heated as both sides had players dismissed but the home team netted a second through Andrew Robertson, while Red Row had Darren Smith on the scoresheet.

Springhill 1 Shilbottle CW 2 (aet)

Defences were on top as the first half ended goalless.

Three minutes into the second half, Springhill went ahead through a Martin Bell goal. But with virtually the last kick of the game, Paul White equalised for Shilbottle.

In the first half of extra-time, Stephen Shendon netted the winning goal for the visitors.

Runciman Cup

Amble St Cuthbert 2

Craster Rovers 0

In a hard-fought game of very few chances and some good saves from home keeper Sean Straker, half-time arrived goalless.

It was after 80 minutes that Amble went ahead as David Whenray headed home a James Hedley cross and the same player followed up to net the rebound after Timmy Young’s shot came back off the posts.

Two firsts in the game were Amble’s first ever cup win and clean sheet since joining the league. Match sponsor: Queen Street Convenience Store. Match ball and hospitality: Radcliffe AWC.

Shilbottle CW Res 0

Bamburgh Castle 6

Bamburgh eased through to the next round with a comfortable win at Shilbottle.

Two goals from Gareth McCann in the opening 15 minutes put them in control and further goals from Johnny Johnson and Alex Mackay saw them in control at half-time.

Shilbottle did improve after the break but with Gareth McCann completing his hat-trick and Johnny Johnson adding his second of the game, Bamburgh completed the win.

Division Two

Wooler Res 3 Boulmer FC 2

After a disappointing result the previous week to local rivals Lowick, Wooler Reserves returned to winning ways with a hard-fought and, at times, bad-tempered match against Boulmer.

Wooler started strongly and the opening goal was a classic.

Ross Tait released Connor Cowens with a pinpoint cross field ball. Cowens beat the Boulmer full-back and crossed for Stephen Skeen to score at the far-post.

The second Wooler goal was even better, with Tait picking up the ball on the edge of the box and scoring with a 20-yard drive, giving the keeper no chance.

Wooler were in control and it was against the run of play when Mark Boyle beat the offiside trap to chip Chris Stanwix in the Wooler goal to reduce the deficit just before half-time.

The second half begin brightly with both teams pushing on. Boulmer equalised again when the dangerous Boyle scored with a low drive. The game got rather bad tempered and the influence of the crowd began to encourage Wooler on.

With 10 minutes to go, Cowens crossed from the right for Skeen to score with a looping header and seal the victory.

Best for Wooler in a good all-round team performance were Ross Allen, Stephen Skeen, Ross Tait and Connor Cowens.