Battling Amble boys just run out of time

FC Amble U12 2 West Denton U12 3

Under 12, League Five

FC Amble played host to West Denton on a very blustery morning on the high school playing fields.

Amble’s starting line-up took a bit of a hammering, with goalkeeper J Belisle missing due to a head wound and M Kerr stepping in to replace him. A last-minute text withdrawing T Mitchell once again left Amble weakened.

Before they even had a chance to get organised, they went behind in the first minute with the visiting striker pouncing on the rebound after a great save from M Kerr (0-1 ).

Kicking into a strong wind, Amble struggled to clear their lines and could not get a foothold in the early exchanges.

The wind played a major part in the visitors’ second goal when the ball found the back of the net direct from a corner (0-2).

Despite this setback, Amble tried to get back into the game and E Bell caused their back-line problems with his pace and had three decent chances to pull a goal back, but could not convert them into goals.

With half-time looming, Amble were still in the game, but just before the break, they went further behind with a good finish from the striker to extend their lead to 0-3.

Amble came out in the second half and shuffled their pack with D Douglas slotting in at the right side of defence and R Paton joining D Tailford in the centre of the park to control the visiting captain, who had pulled the strings in the first period.

This seemed to stem the flow a bit and Amble pushed on without really troubling too much.

With 10 minutes left, Amble looked down and out, but managed to draw on all of their reserves and go out fighting.

They reduced the deficit soon after with some quick thinking from D Wilkie, who played in E Bell.

He slotted a left-footed shot past the goalkeeper which went in off the post (1-3).

With time pushing on, E Bell had another shot which the keeper just managed to keep out and was cleared off the line with the goal gaping.

Bell then doubled his tally with another good finish that sailed over the keeper after good work from T Henshall (2-3).

With seconds left, E Bell went clean through with just the keeper to beat, but could only hit the ball straight at the keeper, who spread himself well to block the shot.

This was the last action in the match and Amble ran out of time to rescue anything from the game, but can be very proud of the way they continued to battle to the end of the game.

Spurreli’s man-of-the-match: Dylan Douglas.