Atwell and Colley at double as Embleton overcome Forresters

editorial image

Embleton 5

Forresters 2

Embleton dominated the first 20 minutes of this league match with Atwell hitting the bar, Colley going close twice and Wilkin unable to finish when one-on-one.

The breakthrough finally came with a 25 yard strike from Colley which put Embleton one up.

Atwell’s persistent ventures up the field for corners proved successful in the 37th minute when he rose to head in a second.

The second half wasn’t without it’s trials and tribulations. With a second from Atwell and Thorpe’s second of the season Embleton found themselves four ahead.

A penalty and a lack of concentration led to two quick goals for Foresters.

Then, in the last ten minutes of play, Embleton began to turn on the style.

They passed the ball well and a glorious cross from Turnbull was met by the head of Colley who sealed the victory with his side’s fifth.

Tweedmouth Rangers 1

Forest Hall 1

(4-2 Penalties)

This Minor Cup game kicked off with Tweedmouth dominating from the off.

They had plenty of chances to take the lead, but again, in front of goal they struggled.

It was centre back Cromarty who gave them the lead - a scramble in the box fell kindly and he made no mistake passing two defenders to slot home from eight yards out with his left foot.

Twenty minutes in and they were down to ten men when Short saw red, reacting to a horrible tackle and lifting his hands. He gave the referee no option but to send him off.

Somehow the other player went unpunished.

Tweedmouth then had to shuffle the formation and Dodd slotted in at the back until half time.

Rangers started the second half brightly again, plenty of chances came and went, Sean Simpson with the pick of the bunch with a bullet free kick from 30 yards smacking the post.

Tweedmouth then took their foot off the gas and from a corner they left themselves short at the back. A long diagonal ball from the Forest Hall right back picked out one of their front men. McLeod was left 2 on 1, made the tackle but the ball stuck to the man and he slotted home to level it at 1-1.

This lifted Forest Hall and they enjoyed a good 20 minutes of pressure before the whistle went for full time.

Extra time saw a repeat of the previous 90 minutes - plenty of the ball but lack of cutting edge. Rangers slogged it out and went close with a Brown strike cracking the side of the goal, missing by a whisker from 30 yards.

J.Simpson, S.Simpson and Colquhoun all went close in the last period but with no avail.

Tweedmouth could have had a penalty in the dying minutes, but it was not given and so the match went to the penalty shoot-out where the home side managed to win 4-2 to go through to the next round.

Grainger Park 5

Lowick United 1

The least said about the result the better, with Lowick going down to a heavy defeat against a strong Grainger Park team.

Playing in Newcastle is never easy, and so it proved with the ‘Tractor Boys’ being eliminated from the competition with only a whimper.

In fairness the Lowick lads were without a few first choice players but could do little about the offensive prowess of the Grainger Park team.

* In an all league clash at St James, Alnwick it was the home club who took the tie at the final whistle . Regan Turnbull had given the home club a first half lead and further goals from Adam Jobson and Michael Kirkup during the second half sealed the win .

* Ashington Town Central’s game was abandoned due to a second half injury while Bamburgh Castle did score through Johnny Johnson but conceded eleven times against Shilbottle CW.

* Wooler had Jack Strangeways and Ross Tait scoring at North Shields Town but lost out as the home club scored three times.

* Tweedmouth Harrow travelled to Gosforth Bohemians but lost out as the home club scored four without reply.