Another bad day at the office for Town

Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.
Alnwick Town FC news and match reports.

Wilington 6 Alnwick Town 1

Northern League, Division Two

Alnwick Town’s goal-against tally took another battering on Saturday, as they were hit for six at Willington.

A Jason White hat-trick, Adam Burnicle brace and a solitary effort from Mark Bell did the damage as the hosts ran riot.

Town have made an unwanted habit of leaking goals this season and the latest heavy loss meant they have conceded 76 goals in 22 league games this season – the joint-second highest in Northern League Division Two.

And it could have been even worse, had Sean Straker not saved two Willington spotkicks.

Adam Shanks, who has been lethal in front of goal this season, netted Alnwick’s consolation, when the St James’ Park side were 4-0 down.

Visiting Alnwick had to make a last-minute change after Danny Lowes failed a fitness test, meaning Tom Macpherson came in for his first start in six weeks following an injury.

The early exchanges were closely fought, with both sides having chances.

Burnicle’s good shot was saved by Straker, while at the other end, Alnwick’s Gloire Mbiavanga’s rising shot skimmed the bar.

A good move by Alnwick’s Keith Douglas and Tony Brown resulted in a Darren Riddle chance, but his effort was well saved. Team-mate Jon Colley shot just wide soon after.

It looked as though Willington would break the deadlock when they were awarded a penalty, but Straker made a fine stop from Burnicle’s spot-kick.

Burnicle made amends soon after though. He took advantage of a slip by an Alnwick defender to score at the near post.

Shanks went close to forcing an equaliser, but the Willington keeper saved well with his legs.

The game was all but over in the final five minutes of the first half when the hosts scored a quick-fire double.

White, who looked as though he was in an offside position, stroked home Willington’s second before Burnicle tapped in his side’s third.

It was a crushing blow for Alnwick, but things would get worse in the second half.

Willington added their fourth with 15 minutes to go, with White capitalising on a poor clearance by Straker.

Alnwick didn’t give up and were rewarded when Shanks found the net, forcing the ball over the line. It came after good work from Colley.

Not for the first time in the match, Alnwick were left aggrieved.

This time, they were denied a clear penalty when Shanks was upended, but the referee refused to budge.

Alnwick went further behind when White and Bell both scored to make it 6-1.

In between the fifth and sixth goals, Straker saved another penalty.

Alnwick host Darlington RA in Northern League, Division Two on Saturday at 3pm.

Alnwick (v Willington): Straker, R Hume, G Mbiavanga (Dan Palmer), T Macpherson, R Straughan, K Douglas, J Colley, T Brown, B McClelland (B Robertson), A Shanks, D Riddell.