Amble widen gap at top in weekend of cup action

WALLSEND Town and Seaton Burn celebrated pulling off giant-killing acts in the first round of the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup.

Both sides dumped out higher opposition on a day of few shocks.

Goals from Craig Burke and Gary Hall saw Town, of Division One, send Premier Division Killingworth spinning out, with David Borley’s penalty reply not enough to force the issue as they squandered a number of chances.

Ian Armstrong rifled in a penalty to put Second Division Seaton Burn ahead against Division One’s Cramlington Town and a second from Chris Baker sealed it.

Premier leaders Carlisle City suffered their first defeat of the season as they went out at Blyth Town on penalties. Craig Cherry put the Cumbrians ahead in the 33rd minute with Lee Barnes levelling on 54 and Blyth winning 4-3 on penalties.

Hebburn Reyrolle were made to sweat as they were held 2-2 by Second Division Northbank before going through 5-3 on penalties. Cameron Wilson struck twice for Northbank with Alan Pegram and Chris Morris the Reyrolle scorers.

Division One’s Cullercoats also went through on spot-kicks after drawing 1-1 with Bedlington Terriers Reserves of Division Two. Ryan Chisholm netted for the visitors but Michael Gill was on hand for Cullercoats, who won 5-4 from the spot.

Harraby CC disposed of Hexham 6-0 with Simon Tucker and Chris Ferrie both hitting doubles while Dan Anderton and Marc Shiel joined them on the scoresheet and Gav Hattrick hit a treble for Whitley Bay A in their 4-0 win at Newcastle Uni, Darren Reay getting the other from the penalty spot.

Seaton Delaval left it late before disposing off Division One Forest Hall, who led through a Matthew Smith strike.

Daniel McGuire levelled in the 67th minute and two goals in the final minute, from Grant Kershaw and McGuire, saw Delaval through.

Dave McKenzie and James Harmison gave Ashington Colliers an early advantage against Shankhouse and a late double from Michael Hogg completed the win while goals from Dean Holmes, Gary Yates, Gary McGarrigal and Lee Johnson saw Heaton Stannington advance at Wideopen.

Matthew Welch scored twice and Joseph Wright added the other in Alston’s 3-1 win over Cramlington United with Kane Lackenby replying and Craig Dunn also hit a double as New Fordley beat Willington Quay Saints 4-1. Lee Waugh and Dean Lees also netted while Wesley Fidler replied.

Walker Central sub Adam Dobson fired in the winner as they beat Gateshead Rutherford in the Premier Division and Percy Main romped to a 5-1 success at Stocksfield with Craig Ewart, Jon McEnaney, Jason Ritchie, Malcolm Morien and Tony Abladey on target. Phil Murray hit the consolation.

Lee Harker hit a second-half winner for Amble United against Morpeth Sports to maintain top spot in Division One and Perry Veitch hit a hat-trick in Heddon’s 4-1 success at Newcastle Chemfica Independent. Robert Frame also found the back of the net with Steve Spence the Chemfica scorer.

Robert Nolan has been banging in the goals for Red House Farm in Division Two and his treble helped the leaders to a 5-2 win over North Shields Athletic.

Paul Newton-Eddy and Chris Mann also scored with Josh McGirr and Matty Donkin replying while it ended honours even in the Gateshead derby as Adam McVickers scored for Swalwell and Mick Lowdon struck for visitors Whickham Lang Jacks.

Johnny Colley netted a double for Alnwick Town Reserves as they climbed the table with a 3-1 win at Wallsend Boys Club.