Amble’s joy of six to start strongly in top division

Northern Football Alliance Round-up

Premier Division

Amble United marked their arrival in the Premier Division in some style, displaying their six appeal with a devastating opening-day demolition of Gateshead Rutherford.

The newly-promoted Seasiders had romped into a five-goal lead by the break and kept on creating chances after that.

Josh Hay and Sean Taylor shared 26 league goals between them last season as Derek Atwell’s side took the Division One title and lifted both the Combination and Subsidiary Cups. The strikers kept on the goal trail with two each while new signing Matty Graham also grabbed a double on his debut.

Percy Main’s Dean Morgan spared his side’s blushes as he powered a late 30-yard drive into the back of the Stocksfield net as the Villagers salvaged a point after blowing a two-goal lead. Morgan volleyed in the opener from the edge of the box and just two minutes later Kevin Westphal got on the end of a Tony Abladey centre to steer in the second.

But the Griffins grabbed a lifeline just before the break as Chris Hall bundled in at the back post. Then two minutes after half time, Stocksfield were level as Ben Dibb-Fuller took full advantage of some slack defending.

The Tyne Valley side were in dreamland on the hour as Hall slammed home from the penalty spot and they were just five minutes from a famous victory when Morgan struck.

Killingworth Sporting also had a late goal hero in Michael Bowman, who fired home from a defensive scramble as they drew 3-3 against Blyth Town.

Connall Reed and Callum Benson got the others while Joe Race, Damon Mullen and Graeme Heath all netted for Town.

Ben Telford got on the end of a deflected cross to give Heaton Stannington the lead against Whitley Bay A and then slammed in the second for the defending champions. Bay pulled one back through David Coulson.

Seaton Delaval’s Sam Robinson and Ian Mills both recorded debut goals for the Red Devils in a 4-2 success over Ashington Colliers. David Thompson added the other two with Glen Bolton on target twice for Ashington.

Dan Greenslade nodded Carlisle City ahead against Shankhouse in the 46th minute, then two goals in a minute from Mark Graham and a Craig Cherry header made the points safe.

Harraby United went behind at home to Hebburn Reyrolle when keeper Jack Twentyman brilliantly saved a penalty but Simon Jacobs tucked away the rebound. Andrew Douglas showed no signs of rust after a season out and levelled soon after, before striking again in the 48th minute. Aaran Roberts made it three and Mark Thompson thumped in a back-post header to complete the turnaround.

Walker Central’s David Tulip shot them ahead against Wallsend Town, who levelled through Gavin Jones.

Division Two

New Fordley’s Scott Bamborough hit the quickest goal of the new season, taking just three minutes to stretch the back of the Swalwell net. Chris Watson equalised in the 21st, but it was all New Fordley after that with Lee Waugh striking in the 33rd and Louis Boddy grabbing a quick-fire double in the 54th and 56th minutes.

Wallsend Boys Club powered to a 4-0 success at Seaton Burn with Dylan Adamson, Liam Stubbs, Steve McCabe and Sean Graham all on the scoresheet while Robert Edwardson, David Gabbitus and Ross Dickinson scored for Wideopen as they saw off new boys Blyth Isabella, who replied through Matthew Lavender.

Craig Black gave High Howdon the lead at Wooler in the 12th minute and although Stuart Bertram levelled in the 55th, Black was again on target in the 70th minute to win it.

Robert Woods ran through and slotted home in the 65th minute to give Longbenton the points against Alnwick Town Reserves and the game burst to life as Daniel Wallace gave Grainger Park the lead at Birtley St Joseph’s in the 74th minute. Two minutes later Damien Stevens equalised but the visitors were celebrating again in the 80th minute as Shaun Sager netted the winner.