Amble lose crucial match at the top

Heaton Stann v Amble utd'Amble's Josh Hay (in white) during their 3-0 defeat
Heaton Stann v Amble utd'Amble's Josh Hay (in white) during their 3-0 defeat

Northern Alliance league round-up
Premier Division

Heaton Stannington’s Gary Dixon, Lee Johnson and Jonathon Wright were all on target on Saturday in a victory over Amble United that keeps them on track for back-to-back titles and promotion to the Northern League, writes Jon Tait.

Blyth Town kept up the pressure as Craig Hopwood hit the only goal and they survived a late penalty appeal scare at Whitley Bay A.

Chris Hall netted a double and Richard Lally the other in Stocksfield’s comfortable win at Killingworth Sporting.

Dean Armstrong’s header went in off the woodwork to put Harraby United ahead against Ashington Colliers and Peter Ferris rounded the keeper to add a second before Ross Dixon hit a consolation lob.

Carlisle City’s Stuart Kilgour, Brandon Longcake and Martin Shepherd stretched the back of the Percy Main net in a win that saw the visitors reduced to 10 men, but pulling one back through Chris Bell.

Division One

Wallington’s title hopes took a slight dent as they went down to a heavy defeat at Newcastle Uni, who had Tom Stapleton (two), Joe Watson and Jesse Walkin on target.

Red House Farm reduced their lead to seven points as Mark Sheeran bagged a brace at Redheugh with Shane Brooks and Zack Brogden also on target, Scott Robson and Ben Howell chalking up for the home side.

Jordan Watson hit four in Cramlington Town’s big win over Forest Hall. James Bell and Ryan Hutchinson also scored with Danny McDonald hitting a late consolation.

Tito Davison, Chris Homans, Steve McLaughlin and a stoppage-time winner from Garrick Murphy-Collins gave Chemfica the points at Ponteland United, who struck through Andrew Davidson, Liam Anderson and Billy Holden.

A Cameron Wilson hat-trick saw Northbank take three points at Willington Quay Saints, Jonathon McGarva hit the other and Mark Henderson pulled one back.

Anthony Addison, Thomas Barton and Gavin Agnew were on the scoresheet for Morpeth Town A, but visitors Hexham were victorious with goals from Paul McLean, Scott Canham, Liam Heenan and Neil Tiffin.

Dan Child, Stephen Salter, Alex Kennedy and Tavis Couling netted for Bohs as they saw off Cullercoats and Heddon hit three to win at Bedlington Terriers Reserves, who struck twice through Michael Grieves.

Division Two

North Shields Athletic took a big step towards the Division Two title with goals from Thomas Gibson and Sean Millington at Wideopen while New Fordley hit-man Lee Waugh banged in a treble at High Howdon. Daniel Young also celebrated with Scott Dodds replying.

Wooler had James Guthrie and James Jeffries on target, but they were held by Cramlington United, who notched through Daniel Gray and Niall Younger.

Alnwick Town Reserves also drew with Grainger Park, Stephen Hogg and Lee Armstrong’s strikes for the Northumbrians being cancelled out by a Kirk Fleming double.

Longbenton’s Kevin Gordon was a sharpshooter with four in a 10-goal thriller against Alston. Robert Woods chipped in with a brace and Jamie Wright, Jason Williams, Callum James and Gareth Hayton plundered goals for the Cumbrians.

Michael Starkie got both of Wallsend Boys Club’s goals at Newcastle Benfield Reserves from set-pieces, with Steven Thompson pulling one back.

Swalwell celebrated a win against Seaton Burn, with Micky Hara banging in two and Chris Watson grabbing the other. Ben Dixon and Craig Wood scored for the visitors.