Alnwick Town make it five games without defeat

WINLATON VULCANS 2ALNWICK TOWN 4Alnwick Town made it five games without defeat in all competitions when they beat Winlaton Vulcans 4-2 away from home in the Northern Alliance Premier Division on Saturday.

Wednesday, 25th September 2019, 4:09 pm
Updated Monday, 30th September 2019, 12:00 pm

The victory lifted them up to 12th place in the table on seven points and they will be hoping to keep their improved run going this weekend when they take on Gateshead Rutherford, who also have seven points, at St James’ Park on Saturday.

Winlaton made life difficult for themselves by conceding two penalties and at one stage they were down to only eight men following three sin bins.

Alnwick took full advantage of their man advantage by retaking the lead while their opponents were down to eight men before converting their second penalty of the day to seal the three points.

It took the Northumbrians just four minutes to open their account when Joseph Threlfell was fouled in the box and Kieran Hogg converted from the spot.

Alnwick had a chance to double their advantage, but it was at the other end the next goal was to come when Winlaton forced an equaliser, a powerful shot finding the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Town, with Ross Moore seeing a lot of the ball down the right, retook the lead when he chipped the ball through for Brendan Balmbra to run into and produce a composed finish which put his side 2-1 in front.

In a see-saw game, back came Winlaton and they equalised for a second time at 2-2. But just before half-time they put the odds heavily in Alnwick’s favour when they had three players sin-binned for dissent following a foul by Hogg.

Early in the second half, and still with a three man advantage, Alnwick went in front for a third time when Jake Lowes’ corner from the right was met by the head of Jordan Frost, who found the net to the left of the keeper.

Alnwick were then awarded a second penalty when Frost was fouled and Hogg, at the second attempt, converted his second spot kick of the afternoon to complete the victory. Late in the game Michael Brown managed to pick up a yellow card for simulation.