Alnwick stop the rot with convincing win

Alnwick Town thrashed Thornaby 4-1 on Tuesday night to pick up their first win of the season.

It also marked the first time that the St James’ Park side has found the net in the 2012/13 campaign.

And the victory ended a dismal run of four straight defeats in all competitions.

Paul Hodge and Tony Brown scored a goal apiece for Alnwick before a brace from striker Wyn Fremlin completed the scoring against Thornaby in the midweek Ebac Northern League Division Two clash.

It was no more than Alnwick deserved. Not just in this game, but for much of the early part of the season, which has seen the black ‘n’ whites play well and create chances, but without reward.

But, having not scored in the first five games of the campaign, Alnwick didn’t have to wait long to break their duck in Tuesday night’s encounter, going ahead through Hodge after just five minutes.

The home side were pegged back though in the 11th minute, when Thornaby’s lively number 10 equalised.

Alnwick went close to taking the lead soon after when Fremlin hit the bar from 40 yards, having seen the Thornaby keeper off his line.

Chances fell to both sides after that, but neither could take advantage and the teams were locked at 1-1 at half-time.

But six minutes after the interval, Alnwick regained the lead when Brown broke free and shot from the edge of the penalty area and a slight deflection left the keeper stranded.

This goal gave the home team a much-needed confidence boost and they dominated the rest of the game.

The pacey Fremlin grabbed two for himself, scoring in the 68th and 87th minute to round-off a fine personal performance and a good team effort.

Alnwick will be hoping this will kick-start their season.

They are away at Esh Winning on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and at Ryhope CW on Wednesday (kick-off 7.30pm). Both matches are league clashes.

Alnwick Town (v Thornaby): B Brooks, L Dundas (D Lowes), N Catlow, B Murray, T Mcpherson, D Hills,M Nixon (A Makin), T Brown, W Fremlin (J Jackson), C Moffat, P Hodge.

○ Alnwick Town were knocked out of The FA Vase, losing to higher-league opponents Consett in the competition’s first qualifying round on Saturday.

The Northern League Division One side were two-up at half-time through David Harrison and Luke Sullivan before Calvin Smith and a Steven Aiston double completed the rout.