Alnwick humbled as visitors Blyth go to town in second half

Football report
Football report

Alnwick Town 2-8 Blyth Town

Those who support or just watch occasionally, always see plenty of action and goals; well it was so again but Alnwick came out the wrong side of an 2-8 drubbing from a team having its first season in the Northern League.

A lot of the goals were the result of poor play and marking by Alnwick rather than the quality of goals. There were, however, a couple from good play. Blyth Town consisted of a number of ex-First Division players they had attracted but that did not excuse the self-inflicted action by Alnwick ably helped by some very poor decisions by the referee.

Alnwick started off very positive and were in control for the first 15 minutes and Liam Brooks latched onto a pass to fire home: 1-0 after five minutes but after the quarter hour Gary Day’s shot found the net, the first of his four goals from an acute angle.

Blyth gained more possession which resulted in two goals in ten minutes, the first by Connor Graham, chesting in the ball from two yards it was closely followed by Tony Stephenson making it 1-3 to Blyth.

There was a serious question with the third being well offside but not given. In between Alnwick did make a couple of good chances, the first from an Alnwick free kick right to the far post for Joshua Hay point blank block was rebounded to Joshua but his following shot just went over then on the half hour a Hay Brooks move laid back to Tony Brown to take a snap shot just over.

Sam Bouttell was called upon to make two fine saves but Alnwick kept going forward and Liam Brooks at the far post headed down and beat the Blyth keeper Mathew Crook to make it 3-2 to Blyth.

At halftime it was Blyth in the lead but Alnwick had only themselves to blame and Blyth took advantage which any team would have done. Sam Bouttell had to be substituted at halftime due to an injury from a Blyth challenge. Dominic McMahon went between the sticks.

The second half started fast and furious and after 65 minutes Blyth were awarded a penalty which was correct and Gary Days stepped up to slot home, his second and Blyth’s fourth.

This seemed to knock the stuffing out of Town but the two front men, Hay and Brooks, were causing Blyth problems all the time without any reward.

Blyth took control limiting Alnwick to a few chances. The problem was with Alnwick being pushed back; players could not get up fast enough to support them.

Blyth scored four goals in the remaining 25 minutes through further goals by David Robinson two, and Gary Day two, to complete his four. Alnwick produced a small period of pressure causing panic in the Blyth defence and Hay latched onto the ball at the far post but struck his shot just past the post through a packed area.

Alnwick in the last 25 minutes kept on trying but made too many mistakes which Blyth capitalised on.

At the end Blyth ran out 2-8 winners but it was a fact but not a true reflection.

Afterwards the shock of the defeat the players were determined to put things back on track.

Alnwick: S Bouttell, R Douglas, J Giles (L Dundas), G Bails, T McPherson, R Gair (C), M Graham, T Brown, J Hay, L Books, D Riddell (D Schiavetta). Subs: J Morrison, J Jackson.

Match Sponsor: Hardington Hogg Solicitors.

Next home game: against Whickham Tuesday, September 27, kickoff 7.30pm.