Alnmouth continue to march on

Alnmouth v Wooler Res. John Winter, partly hidden by the post, getting Alnmouth's fifth goal.
Alnmouth v Wooler Res. John Winter, partly hidden by the post, getting Alnmouth's fifth goal.

Sportsworld North Northumberland League round-up

Division Two

Alnmouth v Wooler Res'Judd Donohoe on the attack

Alnmouth v Wooler Res'Judd Donohoe on the attack

The only games to survive the wet weather all took place in Division Two.

Leaders Wansbeck AFC continue to set the pace as two Brent Aisbett goals and a Ryan Wilson single saw them collect three more points at the expense of Duns FC, whose only reply came from Jamie Lackenby.

Alnmouth 7

Wooler Reserves 2

A progressing Alnmouth team welcomed Wooler Reserves to Hotspur Park.

After a win against Lynemouth in their last fixture, Alnmouth got off to the worst possible start, finding themselves 0-2 after five minutes.

A jinking run through the middle of the Alnmouth defence saw Tait slot home for Wooler and only a minute later the lead was doubled when Bojavski rose the highest to head home from a Wooler corner (0-2).

But it wasn’t long before Alnmouth settled and Jefferson, in his new centre-midfield role, found himself in the right place to score from five yards out (1-2).

With the home side back in the game, Dodgeson equalled the scores when beating two players down the right and unleashed a ferocious shot that found the back of the net (2-2).

Wooler were still creating chances and had a shout for a penalty refused when Brown left a leg trailing in the box just before half-time.

The home team came out for the second half and started to dominate play with Jefferson and Murray controlling the game in the centre of the park.

It wasn’t long before they were rewarded when a ball into the box was taken down by Brown and fired home from eight yards (3-2).

Alnmouth were pushing forward now and within minutes had increased their lead with Donohoe and Winter both scoring from close range to make it 5-2 after 65 minutes.

Alnmouth felt hard done by soon after when Jefferson fired a 35-yard thunderbolt into the top corner only for the referee to blow for an off-the-ball foul.

With Hogg and Carey looking strong at the back, Alnmouth made three changes and it wasn’t long before they made their mark when a Donohoe shot hit the bar and sub Woolett was on hand to tap the rebound in and then a smart finish by young Callum Henderson rounded off the scoring.

Credit goes to both teams for playing good football in an end-to-end game in difficult conditions.

The team would like to wish manager Sean Henderson a quick recovery from an injury and look forward to seeing him on the sidelines again soon.

Alnmouth: M Ashurst, D Humphrey, D Carey, A Hogg, J Winter, D Brown, L Jefferson, P Murray, R Dodgeson, J Donohoe, N Simpson, J Woolett, C Henderson, R Wooley, D Avison, M Jones. Man-of-the-match: J Winter. Hospitality: The Schooner Hotel, Alnmouth.

Amble St Cuthbert 3

Lowick United 5

This was a pulsating encounter in boggy conditions, which seemed to make it easier to attack than defend.

The Cuddies took an early lead, Danny Moyle chipping in his second effort following a corner (1-0).

Almost immediately, Lowick fashioned an equaliser, Mark Dunlop finishing a move down the left (1-1).

Both sides continued to create chances, but Amble, with the wind in their favour, were shading the match and again took the lead on 32 minutes with an excellent goal.

Front-man Thomas Stones was sent away down the left wing and his perfect cross was controlled by Moyle, who turned a defender, avoided another’s challenge and coolly finished (2-1).

Sadly for the home side, their lead was again short-lived, goalkeeper Sean Straker bringing down a striker but remaining on the pitch to see Paul Wood’s penalty go past him (2-2).

This time, St Cuthbert’s responded within a couple of minutes, Tim Hamilton’s effort being deflected in following a free-kick (3-2).

Cuddie winger Max Anderson nearly curled a beautiful long-range shot into the top corner, but the lead was only one at half-time.

St Cuthbert’s were to rue their missed chances of the first half, as Lowick pressed with the wind now in their favour.

Around the hour-mark, target-man Kevin Greshon stooped to head in a cross at the back-post with the home defence napping (3-3).

Timmy Young nearly repeated the trick of an instant reply, his curling shot well saved by Lowick keeper Oliver Black.

Chances came at both ends, but were only converted at one, as Lowick took the lead for the first time with a well-worked move finished by Brian Blackburn (3-4).

Keeper Black made another tremendous save from Stones, put in on goal by the pass-of-the-match by Timmy Young, who was then really unlucky not to score as his shot hit a post and seemed to roll along the crossbar.

The Cuddies’ luck was definitely out as a Dunlop cross looped over Straker into the top corner to put Lowick 5-3 up.

The visitors restricted the hosts to a few half-chances in the last 15 minutes to continue their impressive season.

Amble St Cuthbert’s FC man-of-the-match: Tim Hamilton. LUFC man-of-the-match: Kevin Greshon. Match sponsors: Palin & Twyford Solicitors. Match ball sponsors and post-match hospitality: Radcliffe WM Club.