Double delight for Alnwick in derby victories over Morpeth

editorial image

Rain affected the local cricket programme at the weekend, but Alnwick managed to get in two games, with their 1sts and 2nds both beating rivals Morpeth in the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior League.

Alnwick 1sts put on 127 in their fixture, with M Brewis top-scoring on 28.

Morpeth were then all out for only 37 with G bateman claiming a fine 5-23.

In the 2nds X! clash, Morpeth fared even worse, all out for only 24 as they chased an Alnwick target of 177, of which Michael Kirkup hit 61.

Meanwhile, in the Northumberland League, Warkworth entertained a strong Backworth side determined to improve upon a wretched batting performance the previous weekend.

With rain threatening the Backworth skipper Robson had no hesitation in putting the home side into bat, however, in blustery conditions openers Stephen Dargue and Scott Gibson started in determined mood and the score quickly built.

Gibson was in typically aggressive form, hitting boundaries all around the wicket and his 50 came off 33 balls before he was eventually caught on the boundary by Sutton for a fine quick fire 69.

Dargue was joined by Wilson and both batted in an untroubled fashion with the clouds gathering, taking the score to 133-1 from 26 overs when a heavy shower took the teams off for an early tea.

When play resumed the overs were reduced to 34 and Warkworth pushed ahead and lost a few quick wickets including Dargue for a steady 33 as the innings closed on 176.

This gave Backworth a good opportunity to achieve their target but they lost opener Ben Sutton and number three Duncan earlier doors, both lbw to Hall, but skipper Robson was looking well set before he tried an extravagant shot to leg and was bowled by Clark on 23.

Warkworth bowlers, backed up by good fielding, continued to pick up wickets but were held up by Australian Pisani who was particularly severe on anything short and he raced along to 34 before he was deceived by a beautiful out swinger from Tom Burnett.

Warkworth senced victory at this point but late order batsmen Minto and Finchen put on quick runs and brought the visitors within sight of victory before both holed out in the deep, leaving Warkworth to clinch victory with Burnett bowling Morgan with overs running out.

Wickets were equally spread out on what was a brilliant all round performance.

In Division 2, Tillside 2nds had a seven wicket home win over Tynemouth 3rds.

Opener Ricky Handa carried his bat for 40 not out in an innings which was interrupted by rain. But the other wickets tumbled around him and the team were all out for only 68, with Cameron McGregor taking 4-13 off 7.3 overs.

In reply, it was an easy target for the Etal side, which they achieved with Keith Bickerton hitting 41 of their 70-3 in 20 overs.

Embleton went down to a heavy nine wicket defeat at the hands of Ashington Rugby.

Embleton, with Cameron Thorpe top-scoring on 30, were all out for only 91, with David Wanless senior taking 5-30.

In reply, Ashington eased to 92-1 with David Wanless junior on 42 not out.

In Division 3, Wooler had a five wicket home win over Blyth 2nds.

Blyth were all out for 123 with the bulk of their runs coming from Robbie Burns on 38 and Fran Carrigan on 37.

Three home bowlers - Andrew Aitchison, William Blackburn and Colin James - claimed two wickets apiece.

Wooler then chased down their target by reaching 127-5 in 33 overs with Jamie Comber on 42 not out and and Michael Blackburn on 29.

Rock had a 144-run home win over Ulgham 2nds.

Oliver Page hit 73 and Adam Dunn 39 not out as the home side posted 167-9 in their 40 overs. Jordan Cowe was the puck of the Ulgham bowlers with figures of 4-38.

In reply they were all out for only 25, with Dunn taking 4-3 off his 3.4 overs.

Warkworth 2nds won by seven wickets when they travelled to face Monkseaton 3rds on Sunday.

Eric Thompson hit 32 as Monkseaton found themselves all out for 96 with John Briggs and Steven Lee claiming two wickets apiece.

Rory Wilson hit 39 and Fred Parkes 33 as Warkworth replied with 100-3.

On Thursday, in the Enid Farmer Cup, Alnmouth and Lesbury reached the final when they beat Berwick 2nds by 46 runs in the semi’s.

The home side batted first, and with Archie Elder hitting 47, Alnmouth and Lesbury made 117 all out in their 20 overs. Richard Farish took 4-15 off his five over spell.

In reply, Berwick struggled to get into the match with only one of their top eight bats reaching double figures.

Niall Jones and Michael Beveridge tried to rescue the situation towards the end, but they were all out for only 71.

Cameron Batey and Patrick Ford-Hutchinson each claimed three wickets for the home side.

Tillside U13s beat their Berwick counterparts in the North Northumberland Junior League at the Pier Field.

Tillside got off to a strong start with Spike Patton retired on 25 in only the fourth over. Joe Bickerton then carried things on and he too was subsequently retired on 27.

Valuable contributions from Rory Lathangie and Callum Mellors left us with 102 from the allotted 16 overs which was a great effort. Well played Sam Robson on test match debut, and well bowled Chloe Ferguson who was the pick of the Berwick bowlers.

When the home team came to bat, they found life very difficult. Spike and Rory conceded just three runs between them from the first four overs, with Rory taking the key wicket of Declan Mar.

After that Joe, Conor McDermott and Callum Mellors (2 overs 1-3!) polished off the home side in just 9.2 overs for a meagre 19 runs.

In the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior League, local sides were also hit by the poor weather at the weekend.

However, Alnmouth and Lesbury 1sts managed to beat the elements, taking on Whickham 1sts at home when they won comfortably by eight wickets.

Whickham batted first and managed to put on a respectable 171-7. In reply, Alnmouth responded with 175-2, reaching their target in the 35th over.