Centurions thumped

Share this article

Corbridge Centurions...10 Alnwick II...40

A TOUGH challenge faced Alnwick II at Corbridge on Saturday, with skipper Gaines having had cosmetic surgery during the week, writes Andrew Hodgson.

It left the midfield without their talisman, but able replacement Harvey came in for him.

The game started brightly, with Alnwick on the attack quickly. Tony Dunn was the first player shot by the marksman at Corbridge. A kick through resulted in him pulling up like a racing stallion. The suspect hamstring had twanged and Dunn was left in the capable hands of team physio, Paul Mather, who comforted the yelling player.

This did not stop the Alnwick backs, who were keen to unleash Colts captain, Rory Mallaburn, who quickly cut through the backs to score first.

His kick was woeful and, when he galloped over for a great second try, his second effort was even worse.

With Straker and Mallaburn, extra pace had been injected into the solid backs.

Angus Todd scored his trademark dummy-and-dash try. Most of the tries were converted by new recruit Chris Harvey.

Strong forward play and, with Cowans and Jolley marauding the pitch like prairie dogs, Corbridge struggled with the pace of the game.

They did break through and score twice and never gave up. But with Snaith in imperious form, the result was never in doubt.

There was a scare when a loose pass found a Corbridge player, but Rich Ord promised it would not happen again.

Injuries were a problem, with management having to juggle the pack. Next off was Joe Hunter (ribs) and then Peter Brown (head) and then Cowans (exhausted), but with a strong squad and will power, plus the fact Gaines was muttering on the sidelines, it meant the injured had to be strapped up and sent back on.

The pack were sound, with all six props playing well and Jolley getting better with every game.

The next game against Gateshead is a must-win game, but with a defence as tight as Andrew Ord’s wallet, the side should be OK.