Big total and easy victory

Alnmouth & Lesbury II (294-3) v Morpeth II (98)

Northumberland and Tyneside Senior Cricket League, Division B2

On Saturday, Alnmouth & Lesbury II travelled to Longhirst to play a Morpeth team which has been struggling in recent weeks.

The home team won the toss and asked Alnmouth to bat first. Robinson and Hinchliffe opened the batting, but Hinchliffe did not last long, edging behind from the bowling of Brown.

At the other end, Robinson, who in 2012 had played in the successful Alnmouth first team, but spent most of the season watching others bat, studiously played himself in.

Conscious of his wretched early-season form, Robinson looked determined not to let this opportunity pass him by, showing the full face of his bat to the bowlers.

He was joined by Hutchinson, who looked in majestic form stroking the ball to all corners of the ground, dealing almost exclusively in boundaries.

Hutchinson had made a quick-fire 41 when another ambitious drive was misjudged and Craigs bowled him.

This brought to the crease Ali Batey, finally playing again having found the attraction of studying for his GCSEs compelling in recent weeks.

By now Robinson was gaining confidence and playing strokes all round the ground. Together they amassed 148 runs, Robinson reaching his century before Batey had his half-century.

Batey was tiring, however, a sleepless night due to the school prom taking its toll and he was unable to make his ground for a second and was run out.

Ed Brunton then joined Robinson and just needed to give his partner the strike as Robinson was by now almost hitting sixes at will.

At the innings’ close. Alnmouth had reached 294-3 with Robinson on 163 not out.

In reply, Morpeth made batting look more difficult.Cowell hit the middle of his bat with a cover drive, only to find Hutchinson diving full length to take a stunning catch.

Turnbull batted well, but wickets continued to fall around him, Ford-Hutchinson and Neil taking five and four wickets respectively.

At one stage, the home side were reduced to 38-7, but the tail wagged and took the total beyond 90 before losing the final wicket, 196 runs short.