This is everything EU citizens need to know about visiting the UK after Brexit

Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 4:38 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 4:40 pm
This is how EU nationals looking to visit the UK after Brexit might be affected (Photo: Shutterstock)

With the UK planning to leave the EU this Friday (31 Jan), EU nationals looking to visit the UK might be wondering how things could change.

The answer depends on whether the UK agrees a deal with the EU or not. Here’s what you need to know, whatever the outcome.

How will things change if the UK leaves the EU with a deal?

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, what EU citizens will need to enter the UK won’t change until at least 2021.

During 2021, national ID cards will no longer be accepted upon entry to the UK for EEA citizens. The date for this change will be announced in advance to give travellers time to adjust their plans.

If you’re not sure if you need a visa to visit the UK, you can use this online service from the government to check.

What happens if the UK leaves the EU without a deal?

In the instance that the UK departs from the EU without a deal in place, EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will continue to be able to travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa.

You’ll be able to cross the UK border using a valid passport or national identity card.

If you plan on travelling to the UK after it has left the EU with no deal, you will need to ensure that you have the correct documents in place to show at the UK border.

Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they currently do.

Can I bring the same items to the UK?

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there will be changes to the following:

How you bring horses to and from the UKHow you bring endangered plants, animals or their products to and from the UK

There won’t be any change to what you can bring in your hand luggage, the food you bring or the plants you bring.

If you’re travelling from the EU to the UK with more than £10,000 in cash, then you will need to make a declaration. This is already the law for those travelling from non-EU countries to the UK.

You can make this declaration on the government website here. Alternatively, you can call HMRC on 0300 200 3700 to make a verbal declaration instead.

How will travelling from the UK to the EU change?

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.

Things you may need to do when travelling from the UK to these places can include:

Checking your passport - you may need to renew your passport as, on the day of travel, you’ll need to have at least six months left on it and it be less than ten years oldGetting travel insurance that covers your healthcareChecking you have the right driving documentsOrganising pet travel - you will need to contact your vet at least four months before you go