The race issues raised by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in their interview with Oprah Winfrey are "concerning" and “will be addressed by the family privately”, Buckingham Palace has said in a statement.
After two days of silence, the Royal statement also said that the Queen is “saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan”, adding that Harry, Meghan and Archie "will always be much loved family members".
The Palace said while “some recollections may vary” they are taken “very seriously”, but would be addressed by the family privately.
The full statement on behalf of the Queen:
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
The pressure had been mounting on the monarchy to give a public response to the explosive interview, which aired in the US on Sunday night and on ITV in the UK last night, where it attracted more than 11 million viewers.
In the two-hour conversation, the Sussexes alleged that a member of the family – not the Queen or Duke of Edinburgh – made a racist comment about their son, and how the duchess had suicidal thoughts but her approaches to the monarchy for help were turned down.