Private fostering: Notifying your local authority

Are you looking after a child who isn’t a close relative for more than 28 days?

If so you may be a private foster carer. Private fostering is an arrangement lasting 28 days or more where somebody other than a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or other close relative cares for somebody else’s child.

By law the local authority must be notified of such arrangements. This is to ensure that the child is safe and well. Also the local authority can offer advice and support to the carer and the child’s family.

So if you, or someone you know, is privately fostering a child, please notify your local authority.

To find out more, please visit

Caroline Selkirk,

Chief Executive,

The British Association for Adoption & Fostering