Yacht rescued after mayday call off Northumberland coast in poor weather

Man in charge of a yacht was helped to shore after his boat began to take on water during poor weather conditions miles out at sea.

By Fiona Thompson
Friday, 28th August 2020, 12:07 pm

Amble's RNLI Lifeboat Station launched its all-weather Shannon Class Lifeboat after the Coastguard picked up the mayday call at 10pm yesterday, Thursday, August 27, 4 miles east of Alnmouth.

Paramedics checked over one of the lifeboat crew after he was hurt securing the casualty vessel to the RNLI's boat so it could be towed into Amble.

Read More

Read More
Read more: Surfer's 'thank you' message to lifeboat crew who saved his life

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A photo shared by Amble's RNLI team showing its lifeboat returning with the yacht after the crew reported it was taking on water 4 miles east of Alnmouth.

A spokeperson for the team said: “The crew made best speed from the harbour in poor conditions with a two and a half metre swell running to the position of the casualty.

"Once on scene searchlights were rigged up so they could see what they were dealing with and put a crewman aboard to assist with rigging up a tow and make sure the casualty was fit and well.

"Once inside the harbour, the vessel was put into an alongside tow and safely moored up in Amble marina with help from Amble Coastguard.”

Howick Coastguard Rescue Team was called to help support the rescue of the 20ft boat.

Its officers said the yacht experienced a problem with its sail, so the man had started to use its engine, but it failed and the boat drifted towards rocks near Boulmer.

A spokesperson for the team said: “We made their way to high spots in Alnmouth and Seaton Point to get ‘eyes on’ the vessel when the lifeboat informed us over the radio that they had located the vessel due east of Boulmer village.

“Once it was safe to approach the vessel the lifeboat put a crewman on board to secure a tow line to the yacht.

"In doing this the lifeboat crewman suffered a minor injury to his ribs but was successful in getting the tow attached in driving rain and with the boat pitching considerably in a moderate to heavy sea.

"Safety advice was given to the solo yachtsman and, once we were happy all was ok, the team stood down.

"The lifeboat crewman was checked over by the two paramedics on our team and also by a crew from North East Ambulance Service.”

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

If you can, please do pick up a copy when you are at the shops. Thank you for your support.