Wooler and Harrow to contest Runciman Cup Final in NNL

The final of the Runciman Cup in the North Northumberland League will be contested by Tweedmouth Harrow and Wooler

Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 9:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 22nd March 2016, 9:35 am
STRUGGLING -- Holbrook St Michaels.

In Saturday’s semi-finals Harrow beat Embleton 4-2, whilst Wooler saw off Springhill by a 6-2 margin.

Embleton WR 2

Tweedmouth Harrow 4

Harrow made it through to the final but only after a second half come back gave them the win.

Embleton led at half time with goals from Phil Grey and Ali Douglas but in the second half two goals from substitute Callum Ferguson, plus further goals from Martyn Tait and Johnny Gill saw Harrow thro to the final .

Wooler 6

Springhill 2

In an even first half Darryl Bell gave Springhill a 30th minute lead but on 40 minutes Kyle Jeffrey scored an equaliser for Wooler.

In the second half Wooler made the most of their chances as Jeffrey completed his hat-trick to open up a two goal advantage before Bell got his second of the match to reduce the deficit .

Wooler continued to press and added further goals through Ross Tait, Thomas Allan and Sam Cowans before the final whistle .


Lowick United 0

Bamburgh Castle 0

Lowick were the stronger team throughout this game but failed to make the most of their chances .

The best of these came with three minutes remaining when they were awarded a penalty, but failed to convert the opportunity from the spot kick .

Red Row Welfare 1

North Sunderland 0

This was a fairly even game until the 90th minute when the home club were awarded a penalty following a foul on Josh Baston with Darren Smith netting from the penalty spot .

Tweedmouth Rangers 6

Belford 0

Tweedmouth moved up to second in the table following a convincing win over their visitors .

After 10 minutes Lee Dodd found Sean Simpson, who opened the scoring, and the lead was extended after 30 minutes when a Rudy McLeod cross was headed home by Simpson for his second of the game . He then completed his hat-trick on 35 minutes with a shot from the edge of the area .

In the second half a Luke Dickson cross was met by substitute Ben Jackson to score a fourth and on 65 minutes Simpson got his fourth of the match, shooting home from the edge of the area .

On 80 mins Dickson played in Johnathan Simpson who netted from a tight angle to make it six and complete the scoring .


Alnmouth 1

Ashington West End 5

An improved performance from Alnmouth, but still not good enough to get them a first win of the season.

Ashington netted three during the first half with Callum Henderson pulling a goal back for Alnmouth just before half time.

It was again close in the second half but the visitors netted two more before the final whistle to ensure the win .

On target for Ashington were Samuel Wake two , Bradley Higgins , Stu Hewitt and Chris Waugh .

Highfields United1

Craster Rovers 2

Craster took three valuable points to close of the gap on Highfields at the foot of the table .

Goals from Phil Bright and Glen Robson gave Craster a half time lead and although Ryan Wedderburn pulled a goal back for Highfields a Joshua Harrison goal restored the two goal advantage for Craster .

Ashington Central 2

Spittal Rovers 1

Spittal led at half time thanks to a 30th minute. goal from Adam Turner but Ashington hit back to take the points with second half goals from Trevor Newman (55 minutes) and Scott Neil (75) to give them three points to keep up their challenge at the top of the table .


Rothbury 2

Amble St Cuthbert 3

After a good entertaining game it was Amble who progressed into the semi-finals .

Liam Ramsay and Brad McClelland gave Amble a two goal lead with Dan Herron pulling a goal back for Rothbury before half time.

After the interval David Stobbart restored Amble’s two goal advantage with Greg Woodburn scoring a second for Rothbury to keep the result in doubt right up to the final whistle .