Warning to owners as dog dies after eating tulip bulbs

A close up of planting Tulip bulbs into a pot.
A close up of planting Tulip bulbs into a pot.

A north Northumberland woman is warning dog owners to beware the danger of plant bulbs, which killed her dog last week.

Jenny Percival, from Hadston, is trying to spread the word after her spaniel cross Daisy died after eating tulip bulbs from the garden.

She said: “Last week, my little dog dug up some tulip bulbs, which was unknown to us until she vomited them up the next morning, but she died within hours.

“I would hate it to happen to anyone else’s dog as it was absolutely traumatic for me and the dog.

“If it saves just one dog, it will be worth it.

“If you plant bulbs, you should plant them more than six inches deep.”

A number of spring plants are poisonous for pets such as dogs and cats.

Tulips contain allergenic lactones, which are derived from chemical compounds and taste a bit like whiskey. Hyacinths contain similar compounds.

However, it’s the bulbs of these two plants, not the leaves or flowers, which are toxic.

If your pet licks or eats any part of a daffodil – the bulb, plant or flower – it will ingest an alkaloid called lycorine which can irritate the tissues of the mouth and throat and can also trigger more serious symptons such as abdominal pain and heart problems.

Crocuses and some varieties of lily are also potentially fatal.

Despite this, Jenny said that many dog owners are still not aware of the dangers.

“Ever since, I have been telling other dog owners and a lot of them were surprised,” she said.