A Warkworth couple are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary today, having been married on October 19, 1957.
John Howliston was born and bred in the village, where they have lived their married life, while Edith (née Grahamslaw), was from Eglingham, where they were wed in St Maurice’s Church.
John has been church warden in Warkworth for years and served on the parish council. He had a slating and plastering company before joining Alnwick District Council as clerk of works.
Edith studied at Alnwick Castle College, fostered 30 babies with the Church of England’s Children Society and went on to be a childminder.
Both are very keen gardeners and were involved in Warkworth in Bloom.