VIDEO: Last meeting for local Women's Institute
A moving rendition of Jerusalem was sung by the 24 members of a local branch of the WI which closed today.
Alnwick Centre WI was formed in 1924 and at one time it was the only institute in the area with more than 100 members. Today the final 24 members were joined by two county advisors for afternoon tea and members were given a small commemorative gift.
The group have met in many places over the years, the first being Sion Hall in St Michael's Lane. As well as carrying on with traditions the women always looked to the future and members have taken part in a great number of activities at local, county and national levels.
Sadly as president Hazel Shell stood down a replacement could not be found but members hope that a group pf younger ladies may reform the group at some point in the future, enjoying the activities, fun and friendship that they have had over the years.