Two home defeats in space of four days for Alnwick Town


By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 24th February 2016, 8:40 am
Updated Wednesday, 24th February 2016, 8:40 am
Football Rumours
Football Rumours


Alnwick slid to another home defeat in a rather quiet game on Saturday, losing out to a strong Whickham side who are in a good run of form.

Chad Collins had the first real attempt for the visitors 16 minutes in, firing just wide for outside of the area. Kallum Broadhead shot from a pull back but was denied by a good save by Alnwick stopper Callum Brooks foot.

Alnwick almost scored right on halftime, James Jackson’s cross was flicked to the back post by Jonathyn Quinn. Rob Baker jumped against Whickham keeper Alex Curran which the latter missing the ball but he managed to dive backwards to recover the ball. The halftime score was 0-0.

Within only three second half minutes Whickham were one up, Broadhead’s free kick came through a crowd unscaved and was pushed away by Brooks. However the ball bounced off Jordan Fraser and rolled home. A second was added 10 minutes later and it was Fraser the centre back again who tapped in from a low cross that wasn’t dealt with. Goal number three for the Home Guard came in the 71st minute, Craig Jelley curled home from the edge of the box.

Alnwick did manage to pull one back with three minutes to go via substitute Lewis Robson. Robson smashed home from point blank range to Curran giving him no chance to react. 3-1 with only three minutes to play.

However, the goal was quickly cancelled out as Whickham got another stroke of fortune. Brooks saved a cross come shot well but the ball hit Jamie Dixon who was running back. The ball landed perfectly for Jelley who netted with easy.

This was another disappointing defeat, but Whickham are in good form and got no less than they really deserved in a poor game.

* On Tuesday Alnwick lost 2-0 at home to Thornaby in the league.

The defeat leaves Town 18th in the Northern League Division 2 table with 23 points from their 28 games played.

On Saturday they travel to take on Northallerton, and next Wednesday (March 2) they are away to Birtley.


Morpeth Town will look to advance to the FA Vase semi-final for the first time in their history whenthey play their re-arranged quarter-final tie against Bristol Manor Farm on Saturday at Craik Park.

Last week’s attempt to play the game fell afoul of the weather, a waterlogged pitch the culprit meaning an early postponement, but Nick Gray’s men will be eager to play on home turf for the first time in 108 days.

Manor Farm currently sit second in the Western Football League table and have won their past 13 games in all competitions, including a 3-2 win over fellow Northern League side Sunderland RCA in the fifth round of the Vase.

If they were to get past ‘The Farm,’ the Highwaymen have been drawn against Bowers & Pitsea or Kidlington in the two-legged semi-final, those two sides contesting a replay this Saturday after a 3-3 draw last weekend.

The draw saw highly fancied sides Hereford FC and Salisbury draw each other in the second semi-final, meaning all four sides in Morpeth’s portion of the draw will fancy their chances of a trip to Wembley. The quarter-final will take place at Craik Park this Saturday at 3pm.