Town tumble to defeat as hosts turn up the heat in second half

Hebburn 5-1 Alnwick Town

Monday, 5th September 2016, 2:07 pm
Updated Monday, 5th September 2016, 3:11 pm

Well, what Alnwick Town did to others was done to them, with an overwhelming second half performance at Hebburn on saturday when they conceded three goals in 15 minutes.

Town included Gary Bailes, signed from Bedlington, and were missing six from the squad. Hebburn had most of last season’s squad including Shannon North, the tall, gangly centre forward who always seems to be a danger to Alnwick.

Recently, according to the Hebburn secretary, he had been playing below par! Pity he did not continue for another game.

Alnwick started slowly, building from the back, but it was the home team that struck first after 25 minutes when Craig Malley moved down their right and was clear as he cut towards the box.

The Town keeper had to come off his line to close him down and it was half cleared only to see Malley collect it and send a cross shot into the left hand corner of the net: 1-0.

Hebburn were the quicker and restricted Alnwick in their possession and passing.

They went two up when Shannon North cut into the box to send a rising shot into the net.

Alnwick had the odd half chance without really causing problems but they had picked up their game, pushing Hebburn back, resulting in Liam Brooks collecting a pass from the right by Jamie Dixon which enabled Brooks to turn his marker and rifle the ball home for 2-1 in 40 minutes.

At half-time it was 2-1 to the home side. They were deservedly in front, but Alnwick were still in the hunt.

The second half started as the first half ended with Hebburn using fast attacks down the wings, but Alnwick had become more positive by keeping them out and taking more possession without reward.

Alnwick were then hit by a three goal salvo in 15 minutes with North scoring his second and five minutes later Craig Malley got his second.

To give Alnwick due credit, they kept trying with Matthew Graham cutting in and hitting a hard shot which home keeper Steven Hubert just managed to save at the near post.

Hebburn applied the last rites when Glen Hargrave put number five in.

Still Alnwick kept trying with Jake Morrison (on for James Jackson) hitting a terrific swerving shot which home keeper Hubert had to be at full stretch and one-handed to tip it over the top.

As the final whistle blew Alnwick knew they had been well beaten in the second half.

To their credit they never gave up, but it was not their day.

Next Saturday Alnwick are away in the FA Vase to Newcastle Benfield so will need to pick up their game.

Team: D McMahan, J Giles (D Schiavetta), C Graham, J Miller, G Bailes (C), J Dixon (D Riddle), M Graham, T Brown, J Hay, L Brooks, J Jackson (J Morrison). Subs: S Boutell, T McPherson.