To coincide with the opening of Alnwick’s new Aldi store, here is a list of 10 things you may – or may not know – about the global discount-supermarket chain.
The shop, on South Road, was officially launched yesterday morning, with Mayor of Alnwick Bill Grisdale cutting the ribbon. Long queues formed outside the shop as eager customers waited for the chance to get their hands on special golden-ticket prizes. See the video here.
Aldi Alnwick store manager, Kyle Davis, said: “There was a great atmosphere at the store opening yesterday and customers really took advantage of the offers in store. People queued from the early hours of the morning to get a prize and they seemed really pleased with the products.
“I’d like to say a huge thank you to the team for their efforts and we look forward to welcoming new customers to the store in the future.”
Ten Aldi facts
1. Aldi has more than 590 stores in the UK and employs more than 25,000 people.
2. Aldi’s Alnwick store is the fifth to open in Northumberland, alongside Hexham, Cramlington, Ashington and Blyth.
3. Every Aldi store has the same layout, making it easier for its customers to complete their weekly shop in 30 minutes or less.
4. Nearly half (49.7 per cent) of the UK shopped at Aldi last year (Source: Kantar Worldpanel, 52 weeks ending February 1, 2015).
5. More than half of Aldi’s products are produced in the UK.
6. Aldi’s two chosen charities are Barnardo’s Children’s Charity and The Prince’s Trust.
7. 95 per cent of Aldi’s range consists of Aldi exclusive own-label products.
8. Aldi’s checkouts are on average 40 per cent quicker than other supermarkets, so customers can complete their shop quicker.
9. Aldi is the first Official Supermarket Partner of Team GB.
10. Every Thursday and Sunday, Aldi sells a range of Specialbuy products, including a variety of garden and home essentials.