Sunderland, Amble and Miners through to semi's

Three second leg games in the Presidents Cup quarter finals took place on Saturday with North Sunderland, Amble St Cuthbert and Ashington Town Miners all making it through to the semi finals where Tweedmouth Harrow already wait.

Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 11:43 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 7:17 pm
North Northumberland Football League news and reports.

North Sunderland travelled to Windmill Field, Craster with a slim one goal advantage from the first leg and a 3-1 victory saw them through 5-2 on aggregate. Ryan Thomson with two and Liam Conroy scored for North Sunderland while Richard Stanwix scored Craster Rovers consolation.

At nearby Embleton, the home were trying to overturn a 3 goal deficit from the first leg against Amble St Cuthbert and in a very entertaining second leg which saw numerous chances created and squandered by both teams a 2-2 draw saw Amble sill maintain their three goal lead and progress into the semi final.

Reece Ramsay gave Amble the lead after 10 minutes but James Wollett who had already been close on two occasions when clean through was on hand to equalise after 12 minutes. Reece Ramsay restored the Cuddie Boys advantage on the half hour when he lobbed the advancing home keeper to see the visitors in a comfortable position at half time.

Kicking with the wind in the second half Embleton pushed hard, creating some good chances and eventually after 55 minutes Phil Gray scored a “screamer” when his left foot volley from 30 yards flew past the visiting keeper into the top corner to bring the home side level.

Chances were created regularly at both ends for the rest of the game but either poor finishing or excellent defending and goalkeeping saw the score remain 2-2 when the final whistle went.

The final game saw Ashington go into the second leg one goal ahead after having won 4-3 at Belford and a 3-2 home victory saw them through 7-5 on aggregate but it could have been different had Belford taken their chances.

Jordan Briggs gave Belford the lead in the first half and with the score still being 0-1 at half time the tie was very much in the balance. As the second half started an early equaliser from Michael Freathy saw Ashington level on the day defore a Mark Dunlop goal for Belford saw them 2-1 ahead on the day and 5-5 overall.

Michael Freathy scored his second to put the home back in front overall and with Belford pushing for an equaliser Brad Higgins scored on 87 minutes to win the game 3-2 and take Ashington Town Miners into the semi final. The semi-final draw sees Ashington Town Miners play North Sunderland and Tweeedmouth Harrow play Amble St Cuthbert.

The final game of the day saw Rothbury entertaining Shilbottle at Armstrong Park, Rothbury for the final Division One fixture of the season, with the visitors Shilbottle CW returning home with the three points after a 5-2 victory.

Shilbottle raced into a 3-0 interval lead through a Lee Hume hat-trick with two coming from the penalty spot. Rothbury pulled a goal back at the start of the second half through Greg Woodburn before Stephen Shendon restored the vistors three goal advantage. Ben Lamb again pulled a goal back for Rothbury before Callum Bremner scored Shilbottle’s final goal.


Friday, May 5 - Laidler/Lancaster Cup Final - Highfields v Shilbottle (at St James Park, Alnwick, KO 7pm).

Saturday, May 6 - Runciman Cup Final - Ashington Miners v Embleton (at St James Park, Alnwick, KO 7pm).

Monday, May 8 - Division 2 - Highfields v Springhill, KO 6.30pm.

President’s Cup SF (2nd legs) - North Sunderland v Ashington Miners; Amble St Cuthbert v Tweedmouth Harrow, KO 6.30pm.