'˜Shambolic' time in education after academies U-turn
SCHOOLS NorthEast, the representative body for all 1,250 schools across the region, has welcomed the Government's decision to abandon forced academisation.
The regional schools network also warned the Education Secretary that the turmoil is unsettling schools that are already facing widespread changes in curriculum and assessment.
Last Friday, it was announced that the Government was backing down on its proposals to force all schools to become academies by 2020.
Education Secretary Nicky Morgan said: “Making every school an academy is the best way to ensure every child, regardless of birth or background, has access to a world-class education.
“I am reaffirming our determination to see all schools become academies. However, having listened to the feedback from Parliamentary colleagues and the education sector we will now change the path to reaching that goal.”
Northumberland Mountain Rescue Team locate the body of a man believed to be a missing walker
New planning report reveals plans for major redevelopment project in Blyth
Berwick man to star in new TV advert
Northumberland council officer set for six-figure payout
Ashington woman Gemma Lees tells given community order for hiding knife up her sleeve
SCHOOLS NorthEast Director, Mike Parker, said: “The past few weeks have been nothing short of shambolic.
“We have seen Sats tests thrown into absolute chaos by leaked papers, parental boycotts, a backtracking on reception assessments due to comparability issues that had been flagged to the Government before and now a U-turn on the most significant element of the education white paper.
“The Department for Education is at risk of becoming the Ministry of Mass Confusion.”
The Government’s statement stressed its commitment to see all schools become academies, but stated that ‘blanket conversion’ legislation is not needed.
SCHOOLS NorthEast has called on the Government to provide additional clarity regarding the circumstances that might trigger forced academisation.