A popular television series, which showcases the beauty and diversity of the county and is watched by millions of viewers, returns to our screens later this month.
The third series of Robson Green’s Tales from Northumberland will be aired on ITV, with the first episode scheduled for Monday, February 29.
The programme captures the Hexham-born star as he immerses himself in the cultures and traditions of The Secret Kingdom.
The theme of the third series is journeys and Robson, 51, will take on various ones across the region.
As part of filming for the latest instalment, Robson went fell running in the Cheviots, sailed a tall ship at Blyth, tried his hand at engraving at Thomas Bewick’s birthplace in Cherryburn and helped lead the Rothbury Highland Pipe Band, among other things.
He also experienced the thrills and spills of Alnwick’s ancient Shrovetide football match during a staged re-creation of the brutal contest in the Pastures.
Robson told the Gazette that he is delighted to be presenting another chapter of Tales from Northumberland.
Speaking during the Shrovetide filming, he said: “It’s always great to do a third series of anything and with this, we are just discovering more hidden gems in Northumberland.
“But really this new series is about journeys, whether it be a journey on land or in the air; we have a journey called All At Sea which discovers our seafaring heritage.
“The series is just more of a great celebration of an area that is beautiful, idyllic and still one of the last, great, isolated, remote wildernesses that is on the planet and a place that I am still very proud to call home.”
A show spokesman added: “We are delighted to be bringing more Tales from Northumberland to people’s screens.
“Filming went well, we found some great stories and fascinating characters and our team received a warm Northumbrian welcome.”
The first two series had a major impact on boosting tourism to the county. For example, Warkworth Castle saw a 71 per cent increase in visitors on the weekend after it featured in the second series – aired last year – compared to the previous weekend. The second series regularly pulled in more than three million viewers. Research after the first series, launched in 2013, showed that 85 per cent of people surveyed had been encouraged to find out more about Northumberland and experience it.
Director of Northumberland Tourism Jude Leitch said: “We are delighted that the show is on at this time, because, after the recent floods, there is a perception from people outside of the north that we aren’t open for business, but we are, and this will show that there are some wonderful things to see.”